This week at Lifehacker:
- Secure VNC with Hamachi
"Pairing up VNC with Hamachi, a Virtual Private Network application, you can remote control any computer securely over your private network across any combination of operating systems."
- Encrypt your instant messages with Gaim
"You're instant messaging your wife from the office and you'd rather the IT guys weren't privy to the conversation."
- Whip your MP3 library into shape, Part I - Level the volume
"Volume leveling is the first secret of a perfect MP3 library."
- Share your iTunes music library over your home network
"The problem with built-in iTunes sharing is that it's very limited."
- Screenshot Tour: Jajuk Music Player
"Jajuk is my new favorite (non-Linux) desktop music player."
- Screencast: Windows Vista Flip 3D
"Wondering whether it's worth upgrading your PC's video card for Vista? Check out Flip 3D - live thumbnail previews of windows when you Alt-Tab or Windows-Tab between open programs."
- Download of the Day: Recuva (Windows)
"Recover deleted files with Recuva, a new utility from the developers who brought you the venerable system-scouring tool CCleaner."
- Remove excessive exclamation points with Greasemonkey!!!!
"If you're sick of seeing excessive exclamation points on the web (!!!) automatically scrub 'em down with the Excessive Exclamation Point Greasemonkey script!!!"
- Screencast: Windows Vista one-click taskbar calendar
"One of the subtle interface upgrades Windows Vista got right is the taskbar calendar."