When an IT technician looked inside a dying computer with malfunctioning processor fan, he discovered what had caused the machine to crash: A worm—not a bug or a virus—an actual 5-inch earthworm.
When Mark Taylor's computer had crashed, he had thought it was due to a worm in his computer. He kept getting error messages saying that "the processor fan was unworkable," and when he called IT for help, they had discovered what looked to be a rubber band, wrapped around the fan. Upon further inspection, the band turned out to be a cooked worm that had been burned and killed when the computer was switched on, causing the processor fan to jam and crash the machine.
How the earthworm actually found his way into the machine is still unknown, but Taylor could only guess that his playful cats had scared and chased the worm into the laptop, through the wider vents on the side: "The worm was obviously looking for a hiding place and must have crawled in through the air vent to get away from the cats." Aww, poor earthworm. [Telegraph - image from MicroWorld]