A couple in Colorado thought they detected the scent of gas coming from their tap water. The test was simple: put a match to their water. What resulted is both awesome and terrifying.
Unfortunately, they're having a hell of a time finding the source of the natural gas leak that's causing their water to be so flammable.
The Colorado Oil and Gas Commission leaders say it's tried to find the origin of the leak. Director Dale Neslin says "We've looked at well compilation reports, taken gas samples to look for a match, done pressure testing and we've not been able to find the well that appears to be causing the problem."
The Ellsworths say they approached Noble Energy and Anadarko Petroleum - the two companies that operate the nearby wells - and begged for help. They say the companies initially refused to do anything. But, at the urging of the Oil and Gas Commission, they have now agreed to put in a water treatment system at the home.