After literally years, Verizon announced today that it will finally be carrying the BlackBerry Pearl Flip smartphone. It's the same phone we know and tolerate, except with a really dumb caveat: it's priced at $129 after rebate. What?
Given the model number 8230 for Verizon's network and available on June 19th, the Pearl Flip costs $129 after a $70 mail-in rebate with a 2-year contract. On Verizon's own network, the non-Flip BlackBerry Pearl is free (though out of stock), while the superior last-gen BlackBerry Curve is only $99. Over at T-Mobile, the Pearl Flip is available for $49 after rebate. Come on, Verizon. Just because a phone is new to you doesn't mean it's new, and you can't just go around marking up a three-year-old phone nobody really adored in the first place. Can you tell I'm a Verizon customer, annoyed by the seemingly endless stream of badass phones passing me by while stuck with a great network who insists on having the worst handsets? Anyway, here's the press release. [Verizon]
June 4, 2009
Verizon Wireless Customers Will Flip for the New 3G-Enabled BlackBerry Pearl Flip Smartphone
Verizon Wireless Delivers the Full Power of a BlackBerry Smartphone in a Popular Flip Design
BASKING RIDGE, NEW JERSEY and WATERLOO, ONTARIO—(Marketwire - June 4, 2009) -
Verizon Wireless and Research In Motion (RIM) (NASDAQ:RIMM)(TSX:RIM) announced today the BlackBerry(R) Pearl(TM) Flip 8230 smartphone will be available on the nation's largest 3G broadband network beginning June 19. The BlackBerry Pearl Flip 8230 features the industry's leading mobile e-mail and messaging solution combined with rich multimedia capabilities and the high-speed connectivity of Verizon Wireless' broadband network in a popular flip design.
Available color: Silver
- Two high-resolution color displays; the external LCD lets customers preview incoming messages without opening the handset
- 2.0 megapixel camera with zoom, flash and video recording capabilities; video recording requires a microSD(TM) card, which can be purchased separately
- Large SureType(R) QWERTY keyboard for easy typing and dialing
- Advanced media player for music, videos and pictures
- microSD/SDHC card slot with support for up to 16 GB of memory per card
- BlackBerry(R) Internet Service and BlackBerry(R) Enterprise Server support
- Voice-activated dialing and speakerphone capabilities
- Easy mobile access to Facebook(R), MySpace and Flickr(R), as well as popular instant messaging services (e.g. Yahoo!(R) IM, AIM(R), Google Talk and Windows Live Messenger(TM))
- Support for BlackBerry App World(TM), featuring a broad and growing catalog of third-party mobile applications developed specifically for the BlackBerry Pearl Flip. Categories include games, entertainment, social networking and sharing, news and weather, productivity and much more
- BlackBerry(R) Media Sync allows for easy syncing of music collections to the BlackBerry Pearl Flip (certain music files may not be supported, including files that contain digital rights management technologies)
- Visual Voice Mail to help customers prioritize their messages
- VZ Navigator(SM)-capable, which means customers get audible turn-by-turn directions to more than 15 million points of interest; customers can also get directions to any address in the U.S. and share the directions with others
Pricing and availability:
- The BlackBerry Pearl Flip 8230 smartphone will be $129.99 after a $70 mail-in rebate with a new two-year customer agreement. Customers will receive the rebate in the form of a debit card; upon receipt, customers may use the card as cash anywhere debit cards are accepted.
- VZ Navigator is available for $9.99 monthly access, and Visual Voice Mail is available for $2.99 monthly access. Other charges may apply when downloading or using applications.
- Customers can purchase the BlackBerry Pearl Flip 8230 online and in Verizon Wireless Communications Stores. For additional information on any Verizon Wireless products and services, visit a Verizon Wireless Communications Store, call 1-800-2 JOIN IN or go online to www.verizonwireless.com. Business customers can contact their Verizon Wireless Business Sales Representatives at 1-800-VZW-4BIZ.