The HTC Touch Pro2 is a manifestly decent phone, which has been priced into oblivion by every carrier that's touched it. Until today, that is, when Verizon announced that their variant of the 3.6-inch-screened QWERTY smartphone will come in at $200, after a mail-in rebate.
Quick experiment: Take this review of the Touch Pro2, and remove all the whining about price. What do you get? A pretty good review! They've even opted for the 3.5mm jack that some other carriers inexplicably didn't. Smart moves, Verizon. Smart moves.
VERIZON WIRELESS INTRODUCES THE HTC TOUCH PRO2
3G Smartphone Offers Global Capabilities
BASKING RIDGE, N.J., and BELLEVUE, Wash. – Verizon Wireless and HTC Corporation introduce the HTC Touch Pro2™, a global-capable smartphone designed for the busiest professionals and world travelers. The HTC Touch Pro2 features an extra-large 3.6-inch touch screen that tilts to an optimal viewing angle, an ergonomic slide-out QWERTY keyboard, and an advanced speakerphone with asymmetric speakers and advanced noise suppression to deliver customers a robust productivity experience. Created with the intuitive TouchFLO 3D user interface, data on the HTC Touch Pro2 can be easily accessed with just the touch of a finger.
Available color: Black
Key specifications and features:
· High-speed connectivity over Verizon Wireless' Mobile Broadband network (1x/EV-DO Revision A 800/1900 MHz)
· Global connectivity to allow customers to access e-mail and data in more than 180 destinations and to use the phone for voice calling in more than 220 destinations (GSM/GPRS/EDGE 850/900/1800/1900 MHz WCDMA/HSPA 2100 MHz)
· Wi-Fi capabilities (802.11 b/g)
· 3.6 inch WVGA resolution (480 x 800) tilting touch screen
· Advanced speakerphone with noise-cancelling technology
· 3.2 megapixel auto-focus camera with video capture
· Touch-sensitive zoom bar
· Seamless connectivity with Microsoft® Exchange, Outlook and Office applications with Windows Mobile® 6.1 Professional
· Bluetooth® 2.1 with EDR and A2DP stereo
· Processor: Qualcomm MSM 7600A, 528 MHz
· Memory: 512 MB ROM, 288 MB RAM
· Dimensions: 4.57" x 2.33" x .68" (length x width x height)
· Weight: 6.3 ounces (with standard battery)
· Extended 1500 mAh battery for longer operation times
· Up to 5.3 hours of talk time (CDMA) or up to 13.5 days of standby time (CDMA)
· Linked contact view delivers e-mail, text message, call history, and even Flickr images and Facebook® updates to a single location
· Push Internet technology ensures that favorite Web sites are always ready for viewing at a moment's notice
· 3.5 mm audio jack and stereo Bluetooth support to enjoy multimedia content through a variety of audio equipment
· Optional expandable microSD™ memory with up to 16 GB to store music, video, images, applications and other content
· Built-in GPS for VZ NavigatorSM, VZ NavigatorSM Global and other location-based services and applications
Price and availability:
· The HTC Touch Pro2 will be available for $199.99 after a $100 mail-in rebate with a new two-year customer agreement on a voice plan with an e-mail feature or e-mail plan. Customers will receive the rebate in the form of a debit card; upon receipt, customers may use the card as cash anywhere debit cards are accepted.
· Beginning Friday, customers can order the HTC Touch Pro2 online at www.verizonwireless.com, in business sales channels and in Verizon Wireless Communications Stores. For additional information on Verizon Wireless products and services, visit a Verizon Wireless Communications Store, call 1-800-2 JOIN IN or go to www.verizonwireless.com.