Until SiRFStarIV takes over the world, bigger screens are pretty much the best upgrade a GPS can get.
And obviously, the new TomTom XXL line features large, five-inch screens.
Otherwise, the two GPS units are pretty typical for their pricerange. Both the TomTom XXL 530S ($280) and 540S ($300) include the latest TomTom UI, US and Canadian maps, the ability to correct street names in the database and preloaded emergency locations like hospitals. If you spend the extra cash on the 540S, you get Bender-friendly Mexico maps, lane-specific guidance (you see in the lead shot), seven million points of interested preloaded and, of course, a more premium black finish.
TomTom will be offering the new XXL line this October.
TomTom Unveils New TomTom XXL Range, with New Five Inch Widescreen
TomTom XXL 530S and XXL 540S feature larger, easy-to-read display
CONCORD, Mass.—(BUSINESS WIRE)—TomTom, the world's leading provider of navigation solutions and digital maps, today announces the latest models in its award-winning portable navigation product offering – the TomTom XXL 530S and TomTom XXL 540S. Drivers can now enjoy TomTom's premium technologies, including the highly acclaimed IQ Routes™ Technology, on an extra-large five inch screen.
"The new TomTom XXL devices enrich our product portfolio by providing our customers with new offerings that cater to individual preference and need, like the larger, easy-to-read screen" said Jocelyn Vigreux, president of TomTom Inc. "The introduction of the XXL range is in line with our strategy to increase the depth and breadth of our product offerings, based on customer feedback."
The TomTom XXL 530S and XXL 540S devices enable users to always drive the smartest and most efficient routes, whenever or wherever they go. The TomTom XXL 530S and XXL 540S include TomTom's exclusive IQ Routes™ technology. The technology is based on historical speed measurements for every time of day and for every road segment, from large highways to small local roads. In up to 35% of all cases, the use of IQ Routes results in driving a faster route, saving significant travel time, money and fuel.
In addition to the above mentioned features, the new TomTom XXL devices come with:
* Full maps of the US and Canada
* TomTom Map Share™ technology, so users can instantly modify street names, street direction, points of interest and more on their device and benefit from corrections made by others
* TomTom Help Me menu, so users can easily access local emergency service providers such as police, fire stations and hospitals.
* TomTom's newest user menu with an elegant interface that features optimized icons for even easier navigation
* Award-winning Fold and Go EasyPort® mount, folds flat against the device, making it easy for users to transport
* TomTom HOME, the free desktop application to keep users' devices up-to-date at all times
Features unique to the TomTom XXL 540S:
* Advanced Lane Guidance for realistic representations of complex highway junctions and lane-specific visual directions that take the stress out of navigating these otherwise challenging areas
* Preloaded maps of Mexico, the US and Canada
* Seven million points of interest, so users have access to information and location details of more restaurants, hotels, gas stations, etc. than ever before
* High-quality black finish, for a sleek look
Availability and Pricing
The new TomTom XXL devices will be in retailers across the United States and Canada in October 2009.
TomTom XXL 530S: $279.95
TomTom XXL 540S: $299.95