Today Epson announced two new projectors aimed squarely at budget conscious consumers—the PowerLite Home Cinema 705HD and the MovieMate 60.
If you can stand the drop from 1080p, the PowerLite 705HD still brings something to the table when compared to their 8100 model. Most notably, it's less than half the price. The 705HD is 3LCD-based, it delivers 2,500 lumens brightness, 3000:1 contrast and Component Video, S-Video, HDMI, and USB connectivity.
Epson also released the MovieMate 60—an all-in-one unit with a built-in DVD and speaker system. Of course, it seems pretty absurd to spending $700 on a 540p combo device with DVD given that much more future-proof technology exists at that price point. That having been said, keep in mind that 1080p projectors are starting to drop below the $1000 mark. If you are willing to spend a little extra money or put off the purchase for another year, you stand to get a lot more bang for your buck. Both of the projectors featured here will be available in October.
Epson PowerLite Home Cinema 705HD Offers Big Screen High-Definition Performance for Under $750
Versatile Home Entertainment Projector Delivers High-Quality Movies, Gaming and More
LONG BEACH, Calif. – Sept. 17, 2009 – Bringing affordable, big-screen home entertainment to households across the country, Epson today announced the new Epson PowerLite® Home Cinema 705HD. Available for $749.99, the Home Cinema 705HD joins Epson's award-winning line of 3LCD™ home theater projectors, providing families and first-time home theater enthusiasts with a versatile, high-quality 720p high-definition solution for a range of options – from movies and gaming, to broadcast TV and sports, to videos and music with an Apple® iPod.
The Home Cinema 705HD is designed to make home entertainment simple and enjoyable, and comes with a variety of consumer-friendly features and performance benefits for enjoying the big screen at home. The projector boasts 2,500 lumens of color and white light outputi to accommodate movie viewing or game playing in different environments – even daytime. It also features four pre-set color modes optimized for video, as well as HDMI connectivity and a USB 2.0 connection for sharing photos and slideshows. Featuring Epson's three-chip 3LCD technology and exclusive energy efficient E-TORL® lamp, the Home Cinema 705HD delivers bright, movie theater-like images and video with amazing detail and no possibility of color break-up or "rainbow effect."
"Whether you're watching your favorite movie with that special someone, or gathering family and friends to cheer on the home town team for the big game, there's nothing like the visual impact of viewing high-definition output on a 120-inch screen at home," said Marge Ang, senior product manager, Epson America. "The Home Cinema 705HD offers that experience to even more consumers with an affordable, easy-to-use, high-quality solution."
More About the Home Cinema 705HD
The Home Cinema 705HD features a sleek white, compact design that offers a range of options and performance, expanding its versatility for home entertainment needs:
* 3LCD Quality and Reliability – 3LCD technology for incredible color, amazing detail and road-tested reliability with no possibility of color break-up or "rainbow effect"
* Increased Brightness – Movie theater-like images with 2,500 lumens of white and color light output for brightness levels that are among the highest in this home theater category
* Big Screen Performance – Widescreen capability with 720p performance
* Easy Set-up and Installation – Epson Universal Mount and 1.2x optical zoom and Instant On, Instant Off® technology allows for no waiting time to start or shut-down projector
* Versatile Connectivity – Component Video, S-Video, HDMI, and USB Type A digital connections to share photos and slideshows
* E-TORL® (Epson Twin Optics Reflection Lamp): Provides optimum light uniformity and increased light output for screen sizes larger than ten feet with exclusive 200 watt high efficiency design; uses less energy for up to 5,000 hours of lamp lifeii
Availability and Support
The Epson Home Cinema 705HD will be available in October through online A/V specialty retailers, select retailers nationwide, and the Epson online store for an estimated street price of $749.99. The projector comes with the service and support only Epson can offer, including a two-year limited warranty with toll-free access to PrivateLine®, Epson's priority technical support, and free two-business day exchange with ExtraCareSM Home Service.
Go Big And Stay Home With New Epson MovieMate 60 All-in-One Home Entertainment Solution
Integrated Projector, DVD/CD and Stereo Speaker Unit Delivers Big Screen Performance
Just About Anywhere for Under $700
LONG BEACH, Calif. – Sept. 17, 2009 – Epson America today announced the Epson MovieMate™ 60, the lightest, brightest and most versatile offering in Epson's innovative line of "all-in-one" home theater projectors. By combining a high-quality, high-brightness projector, a CD/DVD player, microphone input, and stereo speakers in one portable unit, MovieMate 60 offers families and home theater enthusiasts an affordable, easy-to-use and versatile solution for home entertainment in any room of the house, in the backyard, or on vacation.
With MovieMate 60, consumers can enjoy their favorite DVDs, sporting events, TV shows, gaming consoles, and even karaoke up to 8 times larger than a 40-inch widescreen TV. MovieMate 60 features a bright, energy efficient lamp that delivers 2,000 lumens of color and white light output1, Dolby® Digital audio and big-screen image quality in a portable and convenient home theater solution. MovieMate 60 also offers easy plug ‘n play connectivity, including HDMI, allowing consumers to enjoy and share digital content from computers, camcorders, digital cameras, or MP3 players. With the performance and reliability of Epson's three-chip 3LCD technology and energy efficient E-TORL® lamp, the MovieMate 60 delivers home theater enthusiasts brighter, natural colors for years to come.2
"These days, families are looking for more affordable ways to entertain themselves and share good times," said Marge Ang, senior product manager, Epson America. "Whether watching a movie, hosting a gaming night or singing karaoke, Epson's unique MovieMate all-in-one projectors help bring families and friends together with a big screen entertainment experience anywhere – in any room of the house or in the backyard."
Epson MovieMate 60
The Epson MovieMate 60 features a sleek, compact design with a built-in handle and cushioned carrying case for portable convenience. Additional features and benefits include:
* Projecting a 16:9 widescreen 60-inch image from only six feet away or a 120-inch image from just 12 feet away
* Built-in progressive scan standard definition 540p resolution DVD/CD player
* Great sound quality using two built-in ten watt 5.1 Dolby Digital DTS® speakers
* Integrated microphone jack to allow for voice amplification – great for narrating a slide show, karaoke and more
* Compatible with Apple® iPod, Nintendo® Wii™, Sony® PlayStation® 3 and Microsoft® Xbox 360®
* New, brighter, energy-efficient E-TORL lamp with 2,000 lumens white and color light output to maximize brightness and uniformity so viewers can enjoy the projector even in well-lit rooms
* No additional cables needed for easy set-up and portable flexibility
Availability and Support
The Epson MovieMate 60 will be available in October through national resellers for an estimated street price of $699. The projector comes with the service and support only Epson can offer, including a two-year limited warranty with toll-free access to PrivateLine®, Epson's priority technical support, and free two-business-day exchange with ExtraCareSM Home Service.