We heard whispers of it yesterday, but now Verizon has confirmed it:
The Android 2.1 upgrade for the Droid by Motorola is being deployed to a small number of Verizon Wireless test users tomorrow afternoon. It is expected the broader phased rollout to all DROID by Motorola users will begin shortly thereafter.
The upgrade will come in phases, which means that some of us may be waiting longer than others, but at least we know that it's on its way.
Update: The folks at Android Central are explaining how the upgrade phases are broken down:
- The first batch of 1,000 updates will be pushed out at 9 a.m. PDT.
- Assuming all goes well, another 9,000 updates will go out at 8:59 p.m. PDT.
- After that, there's a 24-hour waiting period (to make sure all's still well.)
- Then 200,000 updates will go out on Saturday, March 20.
- Another batch of 200,000 goes out after that, until everyone has the update.