Hello college students. It's summer, that most magical of seasons. You want an awesome internship. We have one. A couple actually, in New York and San Francisco.
We're pretty demanding of our interns, but in turn, you will learn a lot about this whole professional blogging enterprise. So, the ideal candidate is a college student or recent graduate who's looking at a career in media, but is pretty geeky too. Oh, and you must be within daily commuting distance of Manhattan or San Francisco.
The basic essentials:
• Writing experience is a huge, huge plus, but not 100 percent mandatory—but you should be ready to demonstrate your ability with some samples
• A decent laptop (basically, one that's good enough to handle light video editing)
• Basic experience with HTML, Flickr, FTP, Facebook, Twitter—the internets, essentially
• The ability to listen and follow instructions and be fast-basically, you're here to learn and build up your knowledge-base
• Dedication-the job's fun, and surprisingly educational, but it's definitely not easy
• To be over 18
The stuff you'll be learning:
• Research: Learning how to pull together multiple forms of information from multiple sources for editors
• Spotting stories: Learning how to find and pitch stories from multiple sources and leads
• Promotion: Learning how to promote stories out there on the internets
• Other things
Essentially, you'll be learning the basics of gadget blogging, which, as it turns out, is pretty valuable knowledge in this crazy media environment. And very probably, having some fun playing with gadgets amidst learning new euphemisms for genitalia and all of the "go go go faster faster faster" pace of blogging. Oh, there is a (very) small stipend, too.
So, if you think that sounds like your ideal summer internship, send an email to email@example.com with the subject "NY Intern" if you're applying for the New York internship, or "SF Intern" if you're applying for the San Francisco internship. No attachments. Seriously. Unless you're just testing how fast we'll delete your email.
We really look forward to hearing from you.