This room is filled with millions...or is it? For this week's Shooting Challenge, you'll fill a room with Scrooge McDuck levels of anything you like. But don't worry. It's an illusion. You won't even make a [much of a] mess.
Fill a room (or any environment) with a single object (or thematic collection of objects).
The idea comes courtesy of Photo Extremist [tutorial here], but the technique is a classic.
You lock down your camera on a tripod. Take a photo. Move the object. Take another photo. Move the object. Take another photo. Repeat until you pass out. Then merge the photos in Photoshop or your editing software of choice.
Our lead photo is from Photo Extremist's tutorial. It actually only contains $148,070 in cash ($871 x 170 photos). It pops a bit because of HDR processing and a Topaz plug-in. Filling a room with something small and valuable creates the mental disparity that makes the photo incredible. But I'm guessing that a multitude of any one thing in a small space will generate a double-take-worthy photo.
Why he didn't just pull a whole million out in cash and spread it around the room in a single shot, however, is beyond me.
1. Submissions need to be your own.
2. Photos must be taken since this contest was announced (read more on that above).
3. Explain, briefly, the equipment, settings, technique and story behind shot.
4. Email submissions to firstname.lastname@example.org, not me.
5. Include 970px wide image (200KB or less) AND a 2560x1600 sized in email. I know that your photo may not fall into those exact high rez dimensions, so whatever native resolution you're using is fine.
6. One submission per person.
7. Use the proper SUBJECT line in your email (more info on that below)
8. You agree to the Standard Contest Rules - though we DO accept non-US resident submissions.
9. If the image contains any material or elements that are not owned by you and/or which are subject to the rights of third parties, and/or if any persons appear in the image, you are responsible for obtaining, prior to submission of the photograph, any and all releases and consents necessary to permit the exhibition and use of the image in the manner set forth in these rules without additional compensation. If any person appearing in any image is under the age of majority in their state/province/territory of residence the signature of a parent or legal guardian is required on each release.
Send your best photo by Monday, February 6th at 10AM Eastern to email@example.com with "Room Full" in the subject line. Save your files as JPGs, and use a FirstnameLastnameRoomFull.jpg (970px wide) and FirstnameLastnameRoomFullWallpaper.jpg (2560px wide) naming conventions. Include your shooting summary (camera, lens, ISO, etc) in the body of the email along with a story of the shot in a few sentences. And don't skip this story part because it's often the most enjoyable part for us all beyond the shot itself!
Mark Wilson is the founder of Philanthroper, a daily deal site for nonprofits.