We've all melted our share of ants with magnifying glasses, but did you know that you could also use a snowglobe for the same effect? And that if you leave a few globes unattended on your windowsill, that they could burn your freaking house down? Well, now you do.
That almost happened to a Milwaukie, OR, man's house this weekend. He'd put the snow globes on his windowsill for Christmas and forgotten about them. As the angle of the sun changed over a few months, it eventually got to a position where the rays were shooting through the globes with enough intensity to set a couch on fire. This is what the couch looked like even though it was covered in a flame-retardant material.
Thankfully, neighbors called 911 in time to save the house. Because no self-respecting claims adjuster is going to believe your house was burned down by a damn snow globe. [ABC]