It's one of the oldest, bestest tricks in the book. Frame your photo by framing it inside something within the photo. And for this week's Shooting Challenge, you'll do just that.
Take a photo capturing frame within the frame.
It's not a hard concept to wrap your head around. Creating a frame within a frame is as simple as shooting a photo through a door, window or other boxed-in structure. The hard part, of course, is doing something everyone else has done in an interesting way.
So for this week, you can shoot a totally naturalistic frame within a frame (here's a great entry tutorial for that), or you can stretch the limits of the concept through Photoshop. I'd love to see a brilliant mixture of both techniques.
Our lead photo is by flickr's Mrs Logic. It's a fantastic example of manipulating the frame within a frame idea at the Photoshop level to create a captivating self-portrait.
1. Submissions need to be your own.
2. Photos must be taken since this contest was announced (read more on that above).
3. Explain, briefly, the equipment, settings, technique and story behind shot.
4. Email submissions to email@example.com, not me.
5. Include 970px wide image (200KB or less) AND a 2560x1600 sized in email. I know that your photo may not fall into those exact high rez dimensions, so whatever native resolution you're using is fine.
6. One submission per person.
7. Use the proper SUBJECT line in your email (more info on that below)
8. You agree to the Standard Contest Rules - though we DO accept non-US resident submissions.
9. If the image contains any material or elements that are not owned by you and/or which are subject to the rights of third parties, and/or if any persons appear in the image, you are responsible for obtaining, prior to submission of the photograph, any and all releases and consents necessary to permit the exhibition and use of the image in the manner set forth in these rules without additional compensation. If any person appearing in any image is under the age of majority in their state/province/territory of residence the signature of a parent or legal guardian is required on each release.
Send your best photo by Monday, May 14th at 10AM Eastern to firstname.lastname@example.org with "Frame" in the subject line. Save your files as JPGs, and use a FirstnameLastnameFrame.jpg (970px wide) and FirstnameLastnameFrameWallpaper.jpg (2560px wide) naming conventions. Include your shooting summary (camera, lens, ISO, etc) in the body of the email along with a story of the shot in a few sentences. And don't skip this story part because it's often the most enjoyable part for us all beyond the shot itself!
Mark Wilson is the founder of Philanthroper, a daily deal site for nonprofits.