Architecture is about lines, shades, textures and curves. So no wonder, we love architecture in black and white. For this week's Shooting Challenge, capture your city in beautiful, minimal black and white.
Capture a photo of your city in black and white. Focus on the architecture—think of it as a character and a setting—of course, people can be in it, too.
Don't go too tight into one building for this one—think concrete, steel and brick landscapes.
There's really no one technique to nail this. Wide angle lenses will be especially useful. Framing is, as always, important. But there is a lot of great generalized advice out there. Check out what National Geographic, Moore Photography and fotoblur. Then just fire off a lot of film...err...SD card. Spend an early morning, late afternoon or evening.
Our lead photo is actually a frame from Woody Allen's Manhattan. Watch the opening credits sequence if you need a bit of inspiration on how to photograph a place as a character.
1. Submissions need to be your own.
2. Photos must be taken since this contest was announced (read more on that above).
3. Explain, briefly, the equipment, settings, technique and story behind shot.
4. Email submissions to email@example.com, not me.
5. Include 970px wide image (200KB or less) AND a 2560x1600 sized in email. I know that your photo may not fall into those exact high rez dimensions, so whatever native resolution you're using is fine.
6. One submission per person.
7. Use the proper SUBJECT line in your email (more info on that below)
8. You agree to the Standard Contest Rules - though we DO accept non-US resident submissions.
9. If the image contains any material or elements that are not owned by you and/or which are subject to the rights of third parties, and/or if any persons appear in the image, you are responsible for obtaining, prior to submission of the photograph, any and all releases and consents necessary to permit the exhibition and use of the image in the manner set forth in these rules without additional compensation. If any person appearing in any image is under the age of majority in their state/province/territory of residence the signature of a parent or legal guardian is required on each release.
Send your best photo by Monday, August 20th at 10AM Eastern to firstname.lastname@example.org with "BW" in the subject line. Save your files as JPGs, and use a FirstnameLastnameBW.jpg (970px wide) and FirstnameLastnameBWWallpaper.jpg (2560px wide) naming conventions. Include your shooting summary (camera, lens, ISO, etc) in the body of the email along with a story of the shot in a few sentences. And don't skip this story part because it's often the most enjoyable part for us all beyond the shot itself!
Mark Wilson is the founder of Philanthroper, a daily deal site for nonprofits.
This week's Gizmodo Shooting Challenge is brought to you by Intel. Take a look at their Intel-inspired Ultrabook Shooting Challenge here.