Last Thanksgiving was one of my favorite Shooting Challenges ever. You shared your family's personal recipes. This year, I want you to share the whole table. This year, I want you to go full Norman Rockwell on us all.
Photograph your Thanksgiving table, like Norman Rockwell's painting Freedom from Want.
There are a few ways you can go about this. One is to photograph the full Rockwell shot, 1:1. You'll almost certainly need additional lighting and bounce boards to do this, given the evenly lit nature of this painting—and you'll need plenty of light to allow you to stop down your camera (close the aperture) to increase depth of field enough so everyone is in focus. Setting this up will likely ruin your Thanksgiving, but hey, what a memory you'll have!
You could also crop it, or reinterpret this painting in parody any number of ways, with or without additional family present. I think that what I'm trying to get at is this experience of Thanksgiving at the table level with the aura of old timey idealism. But if nobody attempts to recreate the full-out Rockwell, I admit, I'll be more than a little heartbroken.
0. No watermarks. They're so ugly.
1. Submissions need to be your own.
2. Photos must be taken since this contest was announced.
3. Explain, briefly, the equipment, settings, technique and story behind shot.
4. Email submissions to firstname.lastname@example.org, not me.
5. Include 970px wide image (200KB or less) AND a 2560x1600 sized in email. I know that your photo may not fall into those exact high rez dimensions, so whatever native resolution you're using is fine.
6. One submission per person.
7. Use the proper SUBJECT line in your email (more info on that below)
8. You agree to the Standard Contest Rules - though we DO accept non-US resident submissions.
9. If the image contains any material or elements that are not owned by you and/or which are subject to the rights of third parties, and/or if any persons appear in the image, you are responsible for obtaining, prior to submission of the photograph, any and all releases and consents necessary to permit the exhibition and use of the image in the manner set forth in these rules without additional compensation. If any person appearing in any image is under the age of majority in their state/province/territory of residence the signature of a parent or legal guardian is required on each release.
Send your best photo by Monday, November 25th at 10AM Eastern to email@example.com with "Rockwell" in the subject line. Save your files as JPGs, and use a FirstnameLastnameRockwell.jpg (970px wide) and FirstnameLastnameRockwellWallpaper.jpg (2560px wide) naming conventions. Include your shooting summary (camera, lens, ISO, etc) in the body of the email along with a story of the shot in a few sentences. And don't skip this story part because it's often the most enjoyable part for us all beyond the shot itself!