It's a jungle out there—of concrete For this week's Shooting Challenge, we're celebrating one of mankind's greatest accomplishments—creating a moldable substance that's harder than rock.
Take a photo in which concrete is the primary subject. It can be immaculate or broken, the embodiment of the pristine or the aches of decay.
At first you'll think, I should just take a photo of the ground! But concrete is a more interesting subject than you might realize. After all, it's the foundation of modern architecture. And if you're photographing architecture as part of this, you might want to check out this tutorial—its tips are actionable and quickly memorizable.
It's also a good week for black and white photography, if you're so inclined, to accentuate form over color. This tutorial really isn't bad for that topic, especially when you get to the camera setup tips at the end.
But don't feel forced to listen to my suggestions here. Shoot macros. Shoot color. Whatever you want.
Our lead image is from flickr's texturezine. It's a perfectly adequate photo of a concrete wall. And now that we've all seen it, let's do something different.
0. No watermarks. They're so ugly.
1. Submissions need to be your own.
2. Photos must be taken since this contest was announced.
3. Explain, briefly, the equipment, settings, technique and story behind shot.
4. Email submissions to firstname.lastname@example.org, not me.
5. Include 970px wide image (200KB or less) AND a native resolution sized shot in email.
6. One submission per person.
7. Use the proper SUBJECT line in your email (more info on that below)
8. You agree to the Standard Contest Rules - though we DO accept non-US resident submissions.
9. If the image contains any material or elements that are not owned by you and/or which are subject to the rights of third parties, and/or if any persons appear in the image, you are responsible for obtaining, prior to submission of the photograph, any and all releases and consents necessary to permit the exhibition and use of the image in the manner set forth in these rules without additional compensation. If any person appearing in any image is under the age of majority in their state/province/territory of residence the signature of a parent or legal guardian is required on each release.
Send your best photo by Monday, February 25th at 10AM Eastern to email@example.com with "Concrete" in the subject line. Save your files as JPGs, and use a FirstnameLastnameConcrete.jpg (970px wide) and FirstnameLastnameConcreteWallpaper.jpg (2560px wide) naming conventions. Include your shooting summary (camera, lens, ISO, etc) in the body of the email along with a story of the shot in a few sentences. And don't skip this story part because it's often the most enjoyable part for us all beyond the shot itself!