Chances are, you have a hobby (other than photography). You spend a lot of money on this hobby collecting all sorts of specialized tools. Well for this week's Shooting Challenge, assemble these tools into one, beautiful collection.
Take a photo of all the tools you have for a certain hobby. And go ahead and make it as artful as possible.
Imagine creating a visual catalog—a hobby or interest in a snapshot. The obvious approach is to lay everything out on a bed. That can be staggering, but consider other ways to present it. Arrange wood carving tools around a finished project. Show coffee making gear through the steam of a piping hot cup. By all means, overload us with stuff, but if possible, leave the wrinkled bed sheets out of it. Consider composition as much as the subject.
Oh, and so we don't get 50 shots of photography equipment, try to choose another hobby. The personality of the subject you choose will dictate much of the shot's overall interest.
Our lead image is from flickr's CGP Grey. It's fun, but try to think outside the "stuff on bed" metaphor.
0. No watermarks. They're so ugly.
1. Submissions need to be your own.
2. Photos must be taken since this contest was announced.
3. Explain, briefly, the equipment, settings, technique and story behind shot.
4. Email submissions to firstname.lastname@example.org, not me.
5. Include 970px wide image (200KB or less) AND a native resolution sized shot in email.
6. One submission per person.
7. Use the proper SUBJECT line in your email (more info on that below)
8. You agree to the Standard Contest Rules - though we DO accept non-US resident submissions.
9. If the image contains any material or elements that are not owned by you and/or which are subject to the rights of third parties, and/or if any persons appear in the image, you are responsible for obtaining, prior to submission of the photograph, any and all releases and consents necessary to permit the exhibition and use of the image in the manner set forth in these rules without additional compensation. If any person appearing in any image is under the age of majority in their state/province/territory of residence the signature of a parent or legal guardian is required on each release.
Send your best photo by Monday, March 11th at 10AM Eastern to email@example.com with "Tools" in the subject line. Save your files as JPGs, and use a FirstnameLastnameTools.jpg (970px wide) and FirstnameLastnameToolsWallpaper.jpg (2560px wide) naming conventions. Include your shooting summary (camera, lens, ISO, etc) in the body of the email along with a story of the shot in a few sentences. And don't skip this story part because it's often the most enjoyable part for us all beyond the shot itself!