Can a remake of a legendary classic ever live up to its inspiration? That's the challenge set before José Padilha's RoboCop, and film critic Peter Rosenthal takes us through the key differences between the 2014 remake and its inspiration, a classic from the bygone era of silent film.
For the rest of this week's top comedy videos, head on over to SplitSider. And now for this week's comedy news:
- The legendary Sid Caesar dies at 91.
- Fred Armisen will be the bandleader for Late Night with Seth Meyers.
- NBC unveiled the full lineup for the first week of both The Tonight Show with Jimmy Fallon and Late Night with Seth Meyers.
- Nathan Fielder revealed he was behind the whole "Dumb Starbucks" thing.
- Fox ordered a new sitcom created by and starring Will Forte.
- We checked out Amazon's three new comedy pilots, Mozart in the Jungle, The Rebels, and Transparent.
- HBO announced the premiere date and title of John Oliver's new talk show, Last Week Tonight with John Oliver, and ordered a new comedy series starring Jack Black and Tim Robbins and another starring Dwayne Johnson and Rob Corddry.
- Comedy Central gave us an exclusive look at the list of comedians getting half-hour specials this year, including Kurt Braunohler, Chris Gethard, and more.
- Bill Murray gave PBS's Charlie Rose a candid, hour-long interview.
- Jerry Seinfeld accused The Lego Movie of plagiarizing a joke he made in a web-only credit card commercial 10 years ago.
- We examined how Family Guy's cutaway jokes aren't pulled off as well as 30 Rock and Arrested Development's.
- We interviewed The Daily Show's new head writer Elliott Kalan.
- Greta Gerwig will star in a How I Met Your Mother spinoff called How I Met Your Dad.
- Will Ferrell and Adam McKay's Gary Sanchez Productions adds female-centric label, "Gloria Sanchez."
- We gave a closer look to Comedy Central's late night game show @midnight and the latest season of Adult Swim's Eagleheart.
- Scott Thompson's fabulous The Kids in the Hall character Buddy Cole served as Stephen Colbert's Olympics correspondent twice this week on The Colbert Report. Thompson also released three short films.
- Earwolf adds Michael Ian Black and Michael Showalter's show, Topics, to their podcast network. We also reviewed Andy Daly's new podcast, The Andy Daly Podcast Pilot Project, and liked what we heard.