In the US, Memorial Day means a three-day weekend. It's also a time when veterans don dusty uniforms in rituals to remind us all of the human costs behind the world we live in today. For this week's Shooting Challenge, I want you to capture a snapshot of this phenomenon—whether you're a patriot or not.
Capture a Memorial Day celebration in your town, whatever that may be.
It's easy to write off the traditions going on around us. So last year, I asked you all to photograph one day in your life—Memorial Day. Why this one day? For one, most of us are already actually doing something, which beats taking photos from your couch.
But I'll admit there's a more clandestine motive at work. Every year, we lose more of the survivors of WWII. Hopefully this task gives you a bit of impetus (and an opportunity) to meet them and hear the first hand stories from what may seem like another place and time.
Our lead image is from Stacy Repin, submitted during last year's Memorial Day challenge. It's from San Francisco's National Cemetery, but I love the crop that seems to erase the modern world.
0. No watermarks. They're so ugly.
1. Submissions need to be your own.
2. Photos must be taken since this contest was announced.
3. Explain, briefly, the equipment, settings, technique and story behind shot.
4. Email submissions to email@example.com, not me.
5. Include 970px wide image (200KB or less) AND a native resolution sized shot in email.
6. One submission per person.
7. Use the proper SUBJECT line in your email (more info on that below)
8. You agree to the Standard Contest Rules - though we DO accept non-US resident submissions.
9. If the image contains any material or elements that are not owned by you and/or which are subject to the rights of third parties, and/or if any persons appear in the image, you are responsible for obtaining, prior to submission of the photograph, any and all releases and consents necessary to permit the exhibition and use of the image in the manner set forth in these rules without additional compensation. If any person appearing in any image is under the age of majority in their state/province/territory of residence the signature of a parent or legal guardian is required on each release.
Send your best photo by Tuesday, May 28th at 10AM Eastern to firstname.lastname@example.org with "Memorial" in the subject line. Save your files as JPGs, and use a FirstnameLastnameMemorial.jpg (970px wide) and FirstnameLastnameMemorialWallpaper.jpg (2560px wide) naming conventions. Include your shooting summary (camera, lens, ISO, etc) in the body of the email along with a story of the shot in a few sentences. And don't skip this story part because it's often the most enjoyable part for us all beyond the shot itself!