Video, Creative Producer - Deadspin
About the Role
Deadspin, Gizmodo Media Group's sports site, is seeking a Creative Producer (editor/animator) to increase our coverage of breaking news. This role is for a candidate equally comfortable with acquiring, processing, and editing video while also writing accompanying news posts quickly and accurately.
The ideal candidate for this position knows how to identify breaking news around the globe and how to access and edit video relevant to covering that news on Deadspin. A familiarity with all major national and international professional and college sports is necessary, as is the ability to follow and cover breaking news events when relevant to the readers' interests. This position calls for expertise in digitizing live video, creating GIFs, and creatively editing video into new works while also being able to effectively communicate through social media. Speed as a video editor in a fast-paced digital blogging environment is essential.
- Working closely with Producers, Executive Producer and the Editor-in-Chief of Deadspin to make smart, creative video content that reflects the voice and journalism of the site.
- Being on-duty during all major live sports, up to and including nights and weekends.
- Editing a range of videos in Premiere Pro, including quick-turn and longer form. Candidate should have a mastery of Premiere, proficiency in After Effects, and command-line programs like ffmpeg.
- Creating motion graphics/animations as needed under the guidance of the Video Art Director.
- Maintaining quality control for all outgoing edits, including graphics and audio mixes.
- Optimizing post-production workflows.
- Pitching stories regularly.
- Working collaboratively with Deadspin’s talented bloggers to add video elements to stories in progress.
- Working collaboratively with other GMG sites (Gizmodo, Jalopnik, Lifehacker, Kotaku and Jezebel)
- Ability to shoot is a plus, but not required.
If interested in the position, please describe your current workflow for quick-turn video content and identifying fun, funny, newsworthy, and noteworthy clips for the web in your cover letter. Include links to both your work covering breaking news with video and examples of your more creative uses of content.