Managing Editor, Jalopnik
New York/ Detroit
About The Role
Gizmodo Media Group (GMG), which is part of Univision's digital arm, Fusion Media Group, is seeking an experienced editor and manager to serve as Managing Editor for Jalopnik, its automotive-focused news and opinion website that reaches more than 8 million global readers a month.
This editor will be tasked with aiding the Editor-in-Chief and Deputy Editor in Jalopnik's day-to-day functions, from line editing stories and features to managing social media accounts. The managing editor ensures articles are well-edited and on time and helps promote Jalopnik's best stories to Gizmodo Media's sister sites and beyond.
The Managing Editor must be a well-organized, hardworking editor with strong news judgement, experience managing a team, an eye for flawless copy, the ability to multitask, and a dedication to Jalopnik's fun and brash approach to journalism. In-depth knowledge of the topics Jalopnik covers—cars, the automotive industry, technology, defense and more—is a must. We need a person who is eager to learn from and work with a growing team of writers and editors so that they may identify and bring out their respective strengths on the site each day. This editor will also be responsible for Jalopnik's stable of freelance contributors.
Who You Should Be
The ideal candidate will:
- Have at least two years experience managing a news team online or in print
- Manage a growing staff of about a dozen writers and freelancers in day-to-day site operations, including assigning, editing, and publishing stories
- Be organized, detail-oriented, and an ambitious manager and writer
- Respond nimbly to cultural and news events with appropriate stories
- Understand Jalopnik's unique voice and be dedicated to growing the site's audience
- Be eager to explore and experiment with a range of publishing options, including podcast and video
This is a full-time leadership position with benefits at Gizmodo Media Group's unionized newsroom. Candidates will primarily be considered in New York and Detroit.