Deputy Editor, Gizmodo
About the Company
GMG is the publisher of the web’s most original media brands, including Gizmodo, Kotaku, Lifehacker, Deadspin, Jezebel and Jalopnik. As a part of Fusion Media Group (FMG) they join a collection of digital-first properties including The Onion, The AV Club, FUSION.net, The Root, and Clickhole to reach 70MM unique visitors a month — more than one third of all Americans.
GMG is always looking for sharp, fearless, curious, and fun aspiring writers, editors, and reporters who are interested in anything and everything.
If you have thick skin, strong opinions, and a talent for finding and shaping great stories, this is the job for you.
We're looking for an experienced editor who wants to spend their days immersed in technology, science, and science fiction. The right candidate will have experience with all elements of the editorial process — assigning stories, vetting staff and freelance pitches, pushing story angles forward, editing both breaking news and feature work, and managing staff. He or she will also have a strong background across Gizmodo’s core beats: Sci-Fi, fantasy, and comic book coverage; science and health; consumer technology and weird gadgets; tech policy and legislation.
The Ideal Candidate Will:
- Have at least 3 to 5 years experience working as an editor in a fast-paced digital outlet
- Have experience managing a large staff on a daily basis
- Possess impeccable editorial decision-making and have the ability to make tough editorial calls in a quickly moving environment
- Be knowledgeable about video and podcasting and eager to help Gizmodo translate its content on new platforms
- Have great network of go-to sources, industry experts, and freelance writers