We're looking for an Editorial Director to lead our talented, sharp and passionate journalists in GMG’s growing portfolio of trusted sites, which deeply value engaging our audience in fearless and honest journalism, and fostering conversations around it. This is the top editorial role in our organization, one that needs to work collaboratively and guide our very talented group of independent-minded editors and storytellers. This is not a daily hands-on editing role but one that, at its core, needs a demonstrated passion for blogging, multi-media storytelling, and GMG’s editorial mission.
GMG is the publisher of the web’s most original media brands, including Gizmodo, Kotaku, Lifehacker, Deadspin, Jezebel, Fusion, Jalopnik and TheRoot. As a part of Fusion Media Group, they join a collection of sites including The Onion, The AV Club, and Clickhole, to reach over 100 million unique visitors a month — more than one-third of all Americans.
GMG and its parent, Univision, are deeply committed to fostering a transparently inclusive workplace environment and people of color, women, people with disabilities and LGBTQ candidates are very strongly encouraged to apply. Our company-wide mission is to reach very diverse audiences and so, we are deeply committed to having teams and leaders that reflect this mission.
The Ideal Candidate Will:
- Serve as the final newsroom voice on editorial choices.
- Along with the Executive Managing Editor, represent the interests of our journalism and our audiences, in broader interactions with appropriate business functions across the company.
- Juggle a vibrant daily newsroom’s many needs with ambitious, long-term projects.
- Attract and help retain amazing talent across GMG.
- Have, share and keep building on new and innovative thinking around culture, management and professional development.
- Oversee and collaborate, with GMG Executive Managing Editor, on organizational, management and newsroom-wide mentoring tasks.
The Ideal Candidate Has:
- Unflinching commitment to impactful multi-media journalism and the editorial mission of GMG.
- Relevant management experience working as a senior editor in a fast-paced, constantly evolving digital publishing environment.
- Impeccable integrity and ability to support our editors in making tough journalistic calls in fast-moving news cycles.
- Skills to help develop and execute on ideas that can expand GMG’s current audiencesin a deeply collaborative, transparent setting.
- A sound understanding of the evolving digital media landscape, our critical place in it, and how our newsroom can continue to help GMG engage and find new audiences in the US and abroad.
- Deep, applied understanding of the centrality of visual journalism, digital video and social media to our journalism.
- Experience in working collaboratively with in-house product/platform teams to figure out more ways to enable greater reach for our journalism.
- Strong interpersonal and collaborative problem-solving skills.
This senior role reports to the CEO, and is part of the core GMG leadership team, which includes the company’s President and General Counsel. The position is based in New York City.