Head of Video, Gizmodo Media Group
The Head of Video will work to ensure that the digital video strategy for GMG is successfully implemented across the portfolio.
The ideal candidate is an exceptional creative thinker, independent manager and team player - capable of overseeing all video operations across some of the web’s most original media brands including Gizmodo, Deadspin, Jezebel, Jalopnik, Kotaku, Lifehacker, Splinter, and The Root. This role requires the ability to inspire and motivate video producers while working closely with editor-in-chiefs to develop site-specific visual storytelling plans.
- Creative - Develop brilliant, bold ideas and play a key role in bringing GMG’s journalism to life via variety of original video formats. Work closely with site leads to ensure video reflects voice and vision of individual sites.
- Strategic - Understand GMG’s creative and business strategy. Develop strategic video plan and deliver against identified objectives.
- Team management - Manage a large video team, ensuring they have strong creative direction and the necessary infrastructure – production schedule, tools, optimal workflows – to produce best-in-class videos. Manage budget effectively to ensure strategic goals are met.
- Audience - Ensure that GMG videos connect with existing and new audiences. Develop distribution strategy with deep understanding of distributed platform and specific requirements for each channel. Attract organic traffic and social attention to sites and social properties.
- Quality – Ensure consistent standards of production (technical and editorial) across the output and be responsible for in-house video, providing feedback.
- A minimum of 10 years of experience working with video content for a publisher, production house, or digital video company (min 5 years in managerial position).
- Creative, strategic thinker with deep understanding of visual storytelling.
- Extremely strong managerial and leadership skills.
- Excellent communication and organizational skills and ability to work effectively with multiple stakeholders across broad organization.
- Enthusiastic and dynamic team player with a high degree of integrity and personal responsibility.
- Strong commitment, and proven track record, of hiring diverse talent.
- Experience owning video productions from initial pitch through upload.
- Experience developing series pilots and built-if-sold opportunities
- Experience with project management and final product deliverables
- Skilled leader in testing, analyzing and innovating content, bringing new insights to your various teams daily.
- Demonstrated ability to write and/or supervise treatments, storyboards, scripts and structuring of all video to guarantee maximum audience engagement.
- Deep understanding of video distribution platforms and ecosystem.
- Proven track record working with business development and revenue teams.
- Understanding of target audiences and the type of content that resonates with them, including working with digital influencers and third party content platforms.
- Understanding of common legal procedures that surround online publishing and content creation.
This position will report to the Editorial Director, GMG