Data & Analytics Internship, Summer 2018
Are you a rising undergraduate or graduate student with a strong interest in digital multimedia journalism?
Fusion Media Group is looking for a Data Science Intern to join our Data & Analytics Team in our New York City office, which supports our Newsroom and other business functions. This role with gain experience in providing insights to multiple parts of the business, fusing consumer analytics, behavioral data, business KPIs, and advertising metrics/data into actionable recommendations for business, editorial and product teams, by applying statistical and machine learning methodologies.
This is an eight-week, full-time paid internship. The internships generally take place over end-June, July and August, with start dates somewhat flexible.
Responsibilities include, but not limited to:
- Analyze data and optimize user experience: identify insights and recommendations to help inform business strategy, improve site and social user experience, and inform product direction by developing and testing innovative data mining ideas that drive recirculation or customize a user's on-site experience
- Discover hidden trends: identify prediction/classification problems, and develop algorithm prototypes to help optimize on-site content performance
- Audience segmentation: apply data mining strategies to segment audience and understand engagement patterns
- Bachelor’s or Master’s program: major in business, mathematics, statistics, physics, engineering preferred but all are considered
- Advanced experience in Excel and data visualization
- Knowledge of R and Python
GMG/FMG and our parent, Univision, are deeply committed to fostering a transparently inclusive workplace environment and people of color, women, people with disabilities and LGBTQ candidates are very strongly encouraged to apply. Our company-wide mission is to reach very diverse audiences and so, we are deeply committed to having interns who reflect this mission.
Applications must be received no later than midnight Eastern time on October 23, 2017. This is a very competitive internship program and shortlisted candidates will have phone interviews. We intend making firm offers by mid-November.
If you think you are the right fit, please apply with a resume and cover letter. Also check out our FAQ.
Is there an age requirement?
No but you must be a full-time college junior, senior or graduate student, currently enrolled in a degree program. It is ok if you might have just graduated before the internship starts in Summer 2018.
Can students who are foreign nationals apply?
Foreign nationals enrolled full-time in US-based universities can apply as long as they can provide necessary government documentation authorizing them to work full-time in the Summer.
Are interns paid?
Yes. We expect weekly gross compensation to be $750.
How many interns will be hired?
We are likely to select up to 14 interns for Gizmodo, Deadspin, Jezebel, Kotaku, Splinter, The Root, Jalopnik, Kotaku, Environment and Music; our podcast, video and social media teams, as well as our analytics team. That is why it is really important that you clearly specify your top two choices.
Does Gizmodo Media Group assist in finding summer housing?
We might be able to point you in the right direction, but interns are responsible for their own housing arrangements as well as moving to New York for the duration of their internship. Classified ads and apartment listings are the place to begin your search.
Do interns need cars?
Not really, especially as our interns are based in New York City. All interns are responsible for their own transportation to and from work.
How soon will I hear whether I've been selected?
Final selections will be made by November 17, 2017.