Managing Editor, Gizmodo
GMG is the publisher of the web’s most original media brands, including Gizmodo, Kotaku, Lifehacker, Deadspin, Jezebel, and Jalopnik. As a part of Fusion Media Group (FMG) they join a collection of digital-first properties including The Onion, The AV Club, Splinter, The Root, and Clickhole to reach 90MM unique visitors a month -- more than one third of all Americans.
GMG is always looking for sharp, fearless, curious, and fun aspiring writers, editors, and reporters who are interested in anything and everything. If you have thick skin, strong opinions, good jokes, and a talent for finding and telling great stories, this is the job for you.
The day-to-day of the position involves working across departments and editors to ensure the page is lively, stories are scheduled, there is a balance of story types, and the video team is integrated in pertinent editorial conversations
We’re looking for an experienced managing editor already living their day-to-day life in a fast-paced newsroom.
The ideal candidate will:
- 4+ years working in editorial at a major digital or print outlet
- Have experience at an outlet with a focus on science or technology
- Be excited by establishing workflows, keeping writers and editors on deadline, and generally keeping the gears turning smoothly at a fast-paced outlet. In short, you should be very organized
- Have experience producing large-scale editorial packages from pitch to publication
- Experience working with video producers on joint projects preferred but not required
- Excellent communication skills!