Have you ever tried to cancel your cable service? Have you ever successfully tried to cancel your cable service? It may very well be one one of the hardest things you ever have to do—just ask Ryan Block. Or better yet, listen to the whole, infuriating 8 minutes for yourself. Holy. Shit.
Block and his wife had already been on the phone for a good 10 minutes before he even started recording, so we can only imagine how he must have been feeling at that point. And honestly, we're amazed he managed to keep his cool as much as he did with what may be the most relentless customer service rep we heave ever seen. Some choice quotes from our tenacious representative:
- Being that we are the number one provider of internet and TV service in the entire country, why is that you are not wanting to have the number one rated internet service available.
- So you're not interested in the fastest internet in the country?
- You don't want something that works? ...So why don't you want something that's good service and something that works?
- I'm really ashamed to see you go to something that can't give you what we can.
- I could save you $100...actually more than $100 per month!
And the clincher:
- I'd like to thank you very much for being a great part of Comcast. Have a wonderful day.
What's more, it's not like this is an isolated incident. Comcast (not to mention major cable monopolies in general) have a long, storied history of never letting go.
To all you future cord cutters out there, god help you. [@ryan]
Update 7/15: Comcast has released the following statement.
We are very embarrassed by the way our employee spoke with Mr. Block and are contacting him to personally apologize. The way in which our representative communicated with him is unacceptable and not consistent with how we train our customer service representatives. We are investigating this situation and will take quick action. While the overwhelming majority of our employees work very hard to do the right thing every day, we are using this very unfortunate experience to reinforce how important it is to always treat our customers with the utmost respect.