It's the 4th of July this Friday. So grab your cameras and some fireworks. Let's make some sparkly GIFs.
Make a GIF of fireworks—the big kind or the small kind. Good old snakes and sparklers are encouraged. Please don't hurt yourselves.
Save the file as 640 pixels wide. 3.5MB file max (but even smaller is appreciated—1MB or less would be fantastic).
We've already talked about taking photos of fireworks. You can use many of those same principles to shoot video on your phone or dSLR. Then, when you've got that, check out this list of easy GIF software to turn it into an animation we can all appreciate here. (Also, the GIF masters amongst us would be kind to suggest their favorite software in the comments.)
You can obviously do whatever you like in terms of making this look silky smooth or nauseatingly choppy, but do consider using GIFs like a cinemagraph and creating something beautiful. And you can find even more specific inspiration here.
The best source we could find on our lead image was from love-scenic on tumblr. I liked the effervescent nature.
1. Submissions need to be your own.
2. Photos must be taken since this contest was announced (read more on that above).
3. Explain, briefly, the equipment, settings, technique and story behind shot.
4. Email submissions to email@example.com, not me.
5. Include 640px wide image (3.5MB or less).
6. One submission per person.
7. Use the proper SUBJECT line in your email (more info on that below)
8. You agree to the Standard Contest Rules - though we DO accept non-US resident submissions.
9. If the image contains any material or elements that are not owned by you and/or which are subject to the rights of third parties, and/or if any persons appear in the image, you are responsible for obtaining, prior to submission of the photograph, any and all releases and consents necessary to permit the exhibition and use of the image in the manner set forth in these rules without additional compensation. If any person appearing in any image is under the age of majority in their state/province/territory of residence the signature of a parent or legal guardian is required on each release.
Send your best photo by Monday, July 7th at 9AM Eastern to firstname.lastname@example.org with "Fireworks" in the subject line. Save your files as GIFss, and use a FirstnameLastnameFireworks.gif naming convention.