Concrete may be the material of modernity, but brick—mere baked clay blocks—trace back to 5000 BC. For this week's Shooting Challenge, do justice to the brick.
Take a photo that features bricks. It can be of a building, a wall, a texture, a cityscape—or anything you can imagine involving the brick.
For this challenge, you're really venturing into the realm of architecture photography. And for that, here's a nice tutorial to walk you through the basics. But don't be afraid to really celebrate the brick itself, focusing in tighter than the scale of a complete building.
I'd also recommend boosting your contrast to really get those lines and textures of the brick in your image.
Our lead image is by Jayel Aheram. Even this simple brick wall is so interesting when you look closely! Each component has so much texture and character, its own cracks and fissures.
1. Submissions need to be your own.
2. Photos must be taken since this contest was announced (read more on that above).
3. Explain, briefly, the equipment, settings, technique and story behind shot.
4. Email submissions to firstname.lastname@example.org, not me.
5. Include 970px wide image (200KB or less) AND a natively sized image in email. I know that your photo may not fall into those exact high rez dimensions, so whatever native resolution you're using is fine.
6. One submission per person.
7. Use the proper SUBJECT line in your email (more info on that below)
8. You agree to the Standard Contest Rules - though we DO accept non-US resident submissions.
9. If the image contains any material or elements that are not owned by you and/or which are subject to the rights of third parties, and/or if any persons appear in the image, you are responsible for obtaining, prior to submission of the photograph, any and all releases and consents necessary to permit the exhibition and use of the image in the manner set forth in these rules without additional compensation. If any person appearing in any image is under the age of majority in their state/province/territory of residence the signature of a parent or legal guardian is required on each release.
Send your best photo by Monday, May 5th at 9AM Eastern to email@example.com with "Brick" in the subject line. Save your files as JPGs, and use a FirstnameLastnameBrick.jpg (970px wide) and FirstnameLastnameBrickWallpaper.jpg (2560px wide) naming conventions.