There's something hypnotic about perfect symmetry, even if it's faked. For this week's Shooting Challenge, photograph a mirror image like a Rorschach test...but don't worry, you can use Photoshop!
Take a Rorschach-like photograph that mirrors the left and right sides of the frame. Feel free to use lots of color and ditch simple white backgrounds. Don't mirror an inkblot, just go crazy.
Three years ago, we ran a Rorschach challenge. (Yes, that makes me feel old.) The results were fantastic, but I always wished we'd followed it up with color version of the challenge. Now is my opportunity to right that wrong.
Feel free to create the effect practically—using mirrors—or to copy half an image using Photoshop. Just make an amazing image that's perfectly, unnaturally symmetrical. Blow our minds.
Our lead shot is from flickr's Dominic's pics. It's actually the result of hand-sculpting the ink on film rather than just exposing it. It's a beautiful abstraction, and just one example of where you can go with this idea.
The Rules - READ THESE
0. No watermarks. They're so ugly.
1. Submissions need to be your own.
2. Photos must be taken since this contest was announced.
3. Explain, briefly, the equipment, settings, technique and story behind shot.
4. Email submissions to email@example.com, not me.
5. Include 970px wide image (200KB or less) AND a native resolution sized shot in email.
6. One submission per person.
7. Use the proper SUBJECT line in your email (more info on that below)
8. You agree to the Standard Contest Rules - though we DO accept non-US resident submissions.
9. If the image contains any material or elements that are not owned by you and/or which are subject to the rights of third parties, and/or if any persons appear in the image, you are responsible for obtaining, prior to submission of the photograph, any and all releases and consents necessary to permit the exhibition and use of the image in the manner set forth in these rules without additional compensation. If any person appearing in any image is under the age of majority in their state/province/territory of residence the signature of a parent or legal guardian is required on each release.
Send your best photo by Monday, September 16th at 10AM Eastern to firstname.lastname@example.org with "Rorschach" in the subject line. Save your files as JPGs, and use a FirstnameLastnameRorschach.jpg (970px wide) and FirstnameLastnameRorschachWallpaper.jpg (2560px wide) naming conventions. Include your shooting summary (camera, lens, ISO, etc) in the body of the email along with a story of the shot in a few sentences. And don't skip this story part because it's often the most enjoyable part for us all beyond the shot itself!