This week marks the end of summer and the first days of fall. It also marks the start of fourth annual Fall Shooting Challenge. Don't worry if things are still green by you—the results aren't due next week—but you can enter starting...NOW!
Take a photo that features the beautiful yellows, oranges, and browns of fall. Anything taken this season is fair game (even if you took it last week). Send it in by Monday, November 11th.
To this day, the best single fall photo tutorial I've seen is hosted on Photojojo. Some of their tips include underexposing your photo when you take it to get maximum color saturation, and don't wait for a sunny day to take your pictures; overcast with a bit of post production can provide surprisingly rich images.
Our lead shot is actually from a past fall Shooting Challenge, by ekelly80. After seeing well over a thousand fall submissions through the years, I'm always surprised how differently the same subject of leaves can be interpreted so many ways.
The Rules - READ THESE
0. No watermarks. They're so ugly.
1. Submissions need to be your own.
2. Photos must be taken this season.
3. Explain, briefly, the equipment, settings, technique and story behind shot.
4. Email submissions to firstname.lastname@example.org, not me.
5. Include 970px wide image (200KB or less) AND a native resolution sized shot in email.
6. One submission per person.
7. Use the proper SUBJECT line in your email (more info on that below)
8. You agree to the Standard Contest Rules - though we DO accept non-US resident submissions.
9. If the image contains any material or elements that are not owned by you and/or which are subject to the rights of third parties, and/or if any persons appear in the image, you are responsible for obtaining, prior to submission of the photograph, any and all releases and consents necessary to permit the exhibition and use of the image in the manner set forth in these rules without additional compensation. If any person appearing in any image is under the age of majority in their state/province/territory of residence the signature of a parent or legal guardian is required on each release.
Send your best photo by Monday, November 11th at 10AM Eastern to email@example.com with "Fall" in the subject line. Save your files as JPGs, and use a FirstnameLastnameFall2013.jpg (970px wide) and FirstnameLastnameFall2013Wallpaper.jpg (2560px wide) naming conventions. Include your shooting summary (camera, lens, ISO, etc) in the body of the email along with a story of the shot in a few sentences. And don't skip this story part because it's often the most enjoyable part for us all beyond the shot itself!