We've all heard, the U.S. government is shut down. And to celebrate the absurdity, we're going to photograph things that are closed, abandoned, and if you're really clever, shut down specifically because of the government.
Take a photo of something that's closed, abandoned, or generally shut down. It can be directly related to the government closures or not.
What I hope you'll enjoy about this topic is that it can be anything from documentary photography to cheeky social commentary. It's really your topic to explore as you see fit, in a way that suits your own style or view. That said, what a nice time to consider urban decay as a general topic.
Our lead shot is from flickr's khawkins04. Of course, closed signs are the first thing that come to mind for a challenge like this. Try to think beyond them, or frame them in a shot in a unique way. Repackaging a trope like this one can be highly effective if you give it the simplest of twists.
The Rules - READ THESE
0. No watermarks. They're so ugly.
1. Submissions need to be your own.
2. Photos must be taken since this contest was announced.
3. Explain, briefly, the equipment, settings, technique and story behind shot.
4. Email submissions to email@example.com, not me.
5. Include 970px wide image (200KB or less) AND a native resolution sized shot in email.
6. One submission per person.
7. Use the proper SUBJECT line in your email (more info on that below)
8. You agree to the Standard Contest Rules - though we DO accept non-US resident submissions.
9. If the image contains any material or elements that are not owned by you and/or which are subject to the rights of third parties, and/or if any persons appear in the image, you are responsible for obtaining, prior to submission of the photograph, any and all releases and consents necessary to permit the exhibition and use of the image in the manner set forth in these rules without additional compensation. If any person appearing in any image is under the age of majority in their state/province/territory of residence the signature of a parent or legal guardian is required on each release.
Send your best photo by Monday, October 15th at 10AM Eastern to firstname.lastname@example.org with "Shut" in the subject line. Save your files as JPGs, and use a FirstnameLastnameShut.jpg (970px wide) and FirstnameLastnameShutWallpaper.jpg (2560px wide) naming conventions. Include your shooting summary (camera, lens, ISO, etc) in the body of the email along with a story of the shot in a few sentences. And don't skip this story part because it's often the most enjoyable part for us all beyond the shot itself!