A virus has wiped out the population of earth...minus one. You're the last person, living in a world built for billions. For this week's Shooting Challenge, capture this feeling by featuring just one subject in a vast urban or natural landscape.
Take a photo in which just one person is featured in a vast landscape. The more empty the world seems, the better.
For this challenge, your setting and framing are everything. The smaller you can make the person in the larger the space, the more isolating the effect.
Context can be powerful. Empty urban spaces hold incredible potential here. But how do you capture an empty urban space? Off hours—especially early morning—can be surprisingly desolate.
But you can also take matters into your own hands. By combining several photos taken from the exact same spot, stacking only the empty parts together, you potentially Photoshop together an empty space, even in a somewhat busy area.
Our lead image is from Vanilla Sky, and while you probably lack the budget to close Times Square, you can use the context of the environment to paint the world as ephemeral and empty.
1. Submissions need to be your own.
2. Photos must be taken since this contest was announced (read more on that above).
3. Explain, briefly, the equipment, settings, technique and story behind shot.
4. Email submissions to firstname.lastname@example.org, not me.
5. Include 970px wide image (200KB or less) AND a natively sized image in email. I know that your photo may not fall into those exact high rez dimensions, so whatever native resolution you're using is fine.
6. One submission per person.
7. Use the proper SUBJECT line in your email (more info on that below)
8. You agree to the Standard Contest Rules - though we DO accept non-US resident submissions.
9. If the image contains any material or elements that are not owned by you and/or which are subject to the rights of third parties, and/or if any persons appear in the image, you are responsible for obtaining, prior to submission of the photograph, any and all releases and consents necessary to permit the exhibition and use of the image in the manner set forth in these rules without additional compensation. If any person appearing in any image is under the age of majority in their state/province/territory of residence the signature of a parent or legal guardian is required on each release.
Send your best photo by Monday, May 12th at 9AM Eastern to email@example.com with "Lone" in the subject line. Save your files as JPGs, and use a FirstnameLastnameLone.jpg (970px wide) and FirstnameLastnameLoneWallpaper.jpg (2560px wide) naming conventions.