You know who has the best view? Your roof. So for this week's Shooting Challenge, head to a rooftop (safely and legally, of course!) and take a photo.
Take a photo from a rooftop. It should be a great view!
Skylines—the most obvious approach here—may be one of the most perfect subjects in the world. As long as you hold your camera straight, and take a photo at a time other than midday (when haze/wash out will be at their peak), your image will turn out very well.
The bolder amongst you might shoot straight down—which, aside from being sure that you're safe about it, you'd need to make sure that your camera is secure enough that it won't fall from your grasp on someone else.
This is also great opportunity for panoramas, or sunset/sunrise photos.
For those of you with iPhones, here's a fantastic tutorial/review of various options you have for panoramas.
For sunrise/sunset shots, those with dSLRs may appreciate this tutorial, which digs very deep, and even explains the science of those rich, warm colors you see during certain parts of the day.
Our lead image is from flickr's jmv. It's from Toronto's Union Station. And it's in black and white, which is fantastic for bringing out the contrast-based details of light and dark within the city architecture.
1. Submissions need to be your own.
2. Photos must be taken since this contest was announced (read more on that above).
3. Explain, briefly, the equipment, settings, technique and story behind shot.
4. Email submissions to firstname.lastname@example.org, not me.
5. Include 970px wide image (200KB or less) AND a natively sized image in email. I know that your photo may not fall into those exact high rez dimensions, so whatever native resolution you're using is fine.
6. One submission per person.
7. Use the proper SUBJECT line in your email (more info on that below)
8. You agree to the Standard Contest Rules - though we DO accept non-US resident submissions.
9. If the image contains any material or elements that are not owned by you and/or which are subject to the rights of third parties, and/or if any persons appear in the image, you are responsible for obtaining, prior to submission of the photograph, any and all releases and consents necessary to permit the exhibition and use of the image in the manner set forth in these rules without additional compensation. If any person appearing in any image is under the age of majority in their state/province/territory of residence the signature of a parent or legal guardian is required on each release.
Send your best photo by Monday, June 9th at 9AM Eastern to email@example.com with "Roof" in the subject line. Save your files as JPGs, and use a FirstnameLastnameRoof.jpg (970px wide) and FirstnameLastnameRoofWallpaper.jpg (2560px wide) naming conventions.