British artist Nick Smith recreates classic paintings from Vincent Van Gogh, Warhol, or Rene Magritte, using Pantone color chips. If you look at it up close—clicking on the expand button— you will only see the color chips, but if you step back—or zoom out—you'll see a pixel-art version of the original paintings.
Given the advent of Photoshop, most of us don't bat an eye at wildly creative photographic collage. But Croatian visual artist Tanja Deman's still have the power to shock even the most jaded eyes—and point a surreal spotlight on the relationship between nature and humans.
Put these on your walls for a classier Halloween vibe than the one at my home. (I once recreated the X-Files "I Want to Believe " poster entirely in pumpkin.) Seriously, though, these are somehow scarier than the fake blood handprints that just won't come off the walls. (Another decorating decision I've made in the…
Berlin-based artist Michael Lamoller uses analogue editing techniques to create super trippy timelapse portraits of people in a series called "Tatochronos." The portraits are collaged upon one another from several printed images, cut up, and then layered. The look results in a cutaway-style collage of a person.
The work of Sophie Standing is incredible. She uses her collection of fabrics from around the world to create very colorful interpretations of the animals of Africa. All the remains is for her to take on the painted turtle, at which point art will have lapped nature.
Aquilla trained her entire life for synchronized spacewalk event, but after Dorna broke her back in a freak stratojump accident, she decided to perform their routine alone. Thousands of spectators swarmed the orbital skybox, gawking as she floated and flailed, untethered in space. A collage by Joseba Elorza.
Collage artist Ashkan Honarvar's Faces 5 series shows faces that have been torn apart in violent ways. But instead of seeing human gore and bone, we see candy and frosting.
One of the hallmarks of Dave McKean's early Sandman covers were the photographic elements framing the central painting, as if you'd stumbled across the piece hanging in curio cabinet or against an overstuffed bookshelf. But before Photoshop made adding these elements as simple as clicking a mouse, McKean decided not…
Pests in the apartment are enough of a pain when they're tiny mice and cockroaches, but what do you do when a whale shows up in your bathroom? Come up with a flash fiction story based on this week's concept art, and post it in the comments.
Collage artist Nicolas Lampert takes innocuous, old-timey photographs and chops them up in such a way that the mundane becomes the casually horrific. Insects are cross-bred with construction equipment, and putrid, megalithic piles of liverwurst dot the American heartland.
Watchmen's masked men in WWI Germany. Spider-Man in military garb. General MacArthur in a Stormtrooper helmet. The Avengers driving a super dairy truck. Danil Polevoy's photo collages place heroes and villains in unlikely eras.
Funny how electronics of the 70s were better dressed than the people who used them, no? Mixed-media artist David "Netherland" van Alphen tackles the decade's blighted fashions and obsession with sound in a new show at San Francisco's Gallery 1988.
The 1950s were a decade when science, space, and concepts of the future were celebrated within fashion, architecture, and design. Artist Mark Weaver takes advantage of the fantastic imagery and aesthetics produced during this era to inspire some breathtaking artwork.
Collage artist Sam Van Olffen takes the Holland's most iconic features — its windmills, its tulips, its bicycles, and Amsterdam's Red Light District — and meshes them with dieselpunk elements to create strange, overstuffed scenes of the Netherlands' unlikely future.
Artist Franco Brambilla combines combines vintage postcards with computer-generated images of aliens, flying saucers, and giant robots, to give your next alien invasion the same quaint, cozy feeling as your grandpa's Alpine vacation.
What if the nations that fought in WWII were led not by mere men, but by diesel-powered cyborgs? It might resemble Sam van Olffen's faux propaganda posters, featuring the likes of Rooseveltron, Stalinator, and Benitobot Mussolinoid.
In this strange city, whose buildings are a hodgepodge of history, a passenger balloon floats across your field of vision. Miles away, a bus sails through the air and a giant elephant robot is engaged in some inexplicable construction project.
We're not sure how many hours it took to assemble this collage of Steve Jobs made solely out of Apple products, but we're pretty sure the process was done on a Mac. Even though Apple hasn't really had a diverse lineup of "stuff" to use, it's enough to make this picture look 95% like Jobs. The other 5%, according to a…