Watch this nice snail. It slowly moves across the ocean floor—lah-di-lah-di-lah!—until it finds a sleeping fish three times its size. Does it say hello, Mr. Fish, sorry to wake you up? No. It just opens its giant mouth and swallows it.
You may know that marine cone snails are some of the most comically toxic creatures on the planet. But have you ever seen one of these mollusks feed? Even though there's no way one of these tiny creatures would be able to devour the human body, watching them chow down makes one prefer the neurotoxins.
The marine cone nail Conus victoriae is venomous to its prey (and humans), but Australian researchers have isolated a non-addictive, pain-relieving chemical from its saliva. This cyclized peptide, known as α-conotoxin cVc1.1, can be ingested orally in pill form.