In a horrifically sad story, Dhanji Damor, a 25-year-old man in India, was electrocuted when he used a "shanzai cell phone" while it was charging. Shanzai means it's a knockoff, an imitation, a fake made in China.
I always imagined being jolted with electric shock would mean a big spectacle filled with lassos of hair rising lightning bolts. In reality, it probably looks like what happened to Moby: slow realization, confusion and then...collapse.
The folks at CNET were surprised to discover that using some Dell laptops can result in electric shocks that "vary in strength from a gentle tingle to a sudden jolt." They also noticed that the shocks occur when connecting peripherals to the laptops. It appears that the offending devices have been isolated to versions…