How Often Do You Use Your Computer's Optical Drive?

30 years ago, the CD was born. This, of course, was the medium that would usher in the era of optical drives, a technology that dominated personal computing for decades. And though it's not completely dead, it's certainly on its way out. In fact, I honestly can't even remember the last time I used mine. How often do… » 10/01/12 4:00pm 10/01/12 4:00pm

It May Be Too Late for Combo Blu-ray/HD DVD Drives

Plextor has just announced a couple of new Blu-ray drives that also read HD DVDs, clearly designed for the poor saps who made the wrong choice in the format war. At first it might seem like an OK choice for people with a HD DVD collection quickly growing obsolete, but for $500 for a read-only drive or $600 for a… » 3/24/08 2:06pm 3/24/08 2:06pm

Kama Connect Eases Data Transfer, Transition Between Systems

Transferring data between systems can be a real pain in the behind, especially if you have data on one and need it on the other. Scythe's Kama Connect is a device that make this transition a little easier. It connects two different drives, including IDE/ATA and SATA hard drives as well as optical drives, to… » 7/05/06 12:31pm 7/05/06 12:31pm

Sony, NEC Getting Friendly in the Optical Drive Business

Sony and NEC have officially signed an agreement which would merge both of their respected optical drive businesses. With the agreement Sony will control 55 percent of the company while NEC will control the other 45 percent. The company, named Sony NEC Optiarc Inc., will begin manufacturing merged optical drives this… » 2/27/06 6:06pm 2/27/06 6:06pm