In the human genome, only about 2% of our DNA are genes involved in coding the proteins essential to our existence. The other 98% is noncoding DNA, often called junk DNA because there's no clear purpose for it. That name might seem a bit pejorative, but a new study of the bladderwort genome suggests it's oddly…
Countless people — myself very much included — can't get through the day without regular intake of coffee, soda, and other caffeinated drinks. Now it turns out bees love the stuff too... and it's actually good for them.
The region of South Africa around the Cape of Good Hope has some of the highest biodiversity in the world. Exactly why that is has puzzled scientists... until now. It's actually all because ants are secret horticultural geniuses.
Posidonia oceanica is found throughout the Mediterranean Sea. It forms massive clonal colonies, in which genetically identical specimens form one giant interconnected super-organism that can last for hundreds of thousands of years. Those colonies are older than human history.
Actually, Mesodinium chamaeleon is both. This single-celled organism definitely eats other creatures, which makes it an animal. But it also absorbs algae cells that can then give it extra energy through photosynthesis. So what on earth is this strange creature?
We know the history of medicine stretches deep into prehistory, but its exact origins remain mysterious. Simple surgery dates back to the stone age, and now there's evidence of basic medical knowledge that dates back to the dawn of humanity.
About 90% of flowering plants require animals to pollinate them, and that includes about two-thirds of the world's crops. The extinction of pollinating organisms could spell disaster... but the very species that are killing them off could prove excellent substitutes.
Hidden in the dark caves of southwest China, a fragment of Earth's last Ice Age might well survive. Sadly, there aren't any mammoths hiding out in there, but tiny plants might represent a last link to 30,000 years ago.
Most of us wouldn't welcome getting partially eaten by a wild animal — but it could be the best thing that can happen to a plant.
If you want to see an evolutionary dead end, look no further than the supermarket produce aisle. Every banana you eat is an infertile clone, and its wild ancestors weren't much better when it came to finding new genes.
Hate cables that run across your wall and look ridiculously ugly? If you are into the organic look, you should check out these Florafil cable covers from Tania da Cruz.
The narration is husky and the instructions sound: why toss that glass Coke bottle into the trash (or recycling bin!), when you're a few modifications away from a retro-tastic plant waterer? Beats an Aqua Globe, anyway.
Japanese workers are so desperate for work that many are traveling to devastated areas of the country to find employment in the risky field of radiation cleanup.
With everything that's happened in Japan in past months, it's no surprise that world—and Web—is keenly aware of today's ominous anniversary. From incredible galleries to deep analysis, here's the most impressive Chernobyl coverage we've seen:
TEPCO started using large remote-controlled excavation vehicles to clear the debris around the Fukishima plants this past weekend, including power shovels and bulldozers. The work is being controlled by operators in lead-covered operating rooms using cameras mounted on the robots and around the area.
The Tokyo Electric Power Company has released new images from the interior of Fukushima's reactor 3, as well as video of emergency personnel frantically working inside the plant.
The only times I've noticed power plants are when they blow an obnoxious amount of smoke in the air. If I lived in Copenhagen though, I think I would hang out at their power plant. The waste-to-energy plant is called the Big Vortex and the roof of the plant will be used as a ski slope. Seriously, it's part of a…
The next hydrangea you grow could literally save your life. With the help of the Department of Defense, a biologist at the Colorado State University has taught plant proteins how to detect explosives.
All I want for Christmas are some zombies and sentient, weaponized plants to protect me from said zombies. Failing that? These adorable clay figurines that look just like them.
Stuxnet—which some experts consider the most advanced virus ever—appears to be focusing its attacks on Iranian nuclear plants. Now, the Pentagon and German intelligence are being accused of creating the virus to take down Iran's atomic facility.