In one of the most difficult Shooting Challenges yet, you were asked to not only paint with light, but paint forms and figures that were actually interacting with or modifying a human subject. The results were so, so, so cool.
Out of all the shots I tried, this one was my son's idea and came out pretty good. Using one of their LED swards that changes colors. Using a Canon 7D with the 18-135 lens. ISO 400, f16 with 15 second shutter. No Photoshop processing other than sizing.
[Ed note: It's as if he's coming through a portal.]
We're located in Hilo, Hawaii, so we try to have a wide variety of backgrounds, from tropical forests to urban/industrial buildings. We use a Canon 40d camera, with a Sigma 50 mm 1:1.4 lens, and use long exposures and a crew of friends to try different shots. The photo was taken with a 32 second exposure, at 1.6 and iso 100. We aim to depict colors and lights towards movie, comic, and video game references. This shot was inspired by the ideas of urban angels as well as the comic book "Constantine." We took the shot in a flood canal off a forest road a few nights ago, and were trying to outline the graffiti or find the best ones for a good background while torching our models with flashes and making them stand still in with cars headlights ruining shots and causing a lot of respawns.
Canon EOS 1000D, 27s f13 @ ISO 100
A self portrait. What's the most practical thing you can do with a trail of fire surrounding you?
Light it up...
My thanks to my dear mum for her help with this shot.
I have photographic proof (taken with a Canon PowerShot s90, f/2.0, 8 second exposure at ISO 160) that my new Dynomorphic Tachoid Bubble Shield is impervious to Dalek fire! However, I did have to reverse the polarity of the neutron flow.
My friend Greg had the idea to make a video game out of light and have him playing it. The first idea was to do Super Mario Bros... we ended up doing pong. All the credit goes to Lauren, Greg, and Sean (in the photo) for doing the actual painting. I just took the picture.
Bulb (roughly a minute exposure), f16, iso200, d300s with a 16-35 f4 at 16mm. On camera SB-800 fired front curtain.
Camera: Canon Rebel T2i
Lens: Canon EFS 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS
Shutter: 93 seconds (bulb mode w/remote)
Focal Length: 18mm
I set up the camera on a tripod, took my position and pressed the remote. This was actually my first attempt, all the others didn't seem quite as good. I stood in the corner of the room and traced over myself with a small LED in the hopes that it would look like a skeleton, starting with the feet and working up, 'drawing' the hands last.
[Ed note: So simple, so effective.]
Last week, when I saw the batman pics, the first think I thought was: It's soooo cool, I need to make something like that, and to submit it to gizmodo, it would be so nice if they publish it!
Me and my friend Martin organized everything and we went to the top of the hill in a ruined monastery (Heidelberg, Germany). We arrived at 10pm and we stayed there till 3am. At the end, this was the only pic we really liked, so here it is. The title could be "Dark Angel". He watches over you when Batman is on duty :p
The setup: Iphone for music on background (:p) Nikon d700 with Sigma 17-35, tripod. This picture is obtained with the sum of 53 different pics of the sky with startrails . I set up the camera for 2" self-timing, then 30" exposure time, 1600 ISO, f8. I pressed that button 53 times, every 30" :s Then we took a picture for the body painting, same exif as before. With a torch I painted Martin's body and after with light candles I made the wings. I took roughly 250 pictures, spent 5 hours outside, drunk 2 beers (actually we were too busy for drinking beer) and got really scared by a mouse...but I think it worth it.
Canon 1D Mark IV, Canon EF 24-70mm F2.8 L @ 24mm, 30 second shutter, ISO 100, f16, two small lights from Walmart for the floor and the tires and rider and a large shop light for the trailing light
Out with the girlfriend for some beers and wings and we started brainstorming for ideas for this weeks photo challenge, end result was the Tron bike idea. We put down tape so we could keep the the lines on the floor straight and used garbage can lids as guides for the tires. It was just the two of us so it took two photos to create the grid on the floor, 1st photo for the lines left to right and the 2nd photo for the lines back to front and a 3rd photo to get her on the bike with the tires and the lines on her and the trailing light. The images were then layered together in photoshop. Took us 75 images to get the 3 that we liked and it was in the garage in the middle of the day so we had to black out the windows and keep the doors closed.. Let just say it was really hot in the garage.
[Ed note: Holy @&#;%]
Kudos to everyone for pushing themselves technically and creatively this week. Thanks for sharing, and see full size images at flickr.
The Gallery (click here for one page view)