The Environmental Working Group claims that recent studies show higher tumor risk in long-term cellphone users. They admit that more research is needed but, just in case, they have created this cellphone radiation ranking. Guess who gets a bad grade.
This is their top 10 in best phones. The cellphone with less radiation (0.15 - 0.35 W/kg) is the Samsung Impression SGH-a877, sold in the US by AT&T. Second position goes to the Motorola RAZR V8 (0.36 W/kg), and third is another Samsung, the SGH-t229 from T-Mobile.
1. Samsung Impression (SGH-a877) [AT&T]
2. Motorola RAZR V8 [CellularONE]
3. Samsung SGH-t229 [T-Mobile]
4. Samsung Rugby (SGH-a837) [AT&T]
5. Samsung Propel Pro (SGH-i627) [AT&T]
6. Samsung Gravity (SGH-t459) [CellularONE, T-Mobile]
7. T-Mobile Sidekick [T-Mobile]
8. LG Xenon (GR500) [AT&T]
9. Motorola Karma QA1 [AT&T]
10. Sanyo Katana II [Kajeet]
But wait, where are the big names? Well, as you probably guessed, those are the ones with the bad grades, way down in the list. All the iPhone models have poor scores, with the iPhone 3GS getting 0.52 - 1.19 W/kg. The Palm Pre gets a pretty lousy score too, sitting at 0.92 W/Kg, and so does the T-Mobile G1, at 1.11 W/kg.
So there you go: If you are paranoid, and use your cellphone a lot without an ear piece, then better be safe than sorry, no matter what the research says now. [All Cellphones Ranking and Smartphones Ranking]