As a child, I'd lay on the carpet with my head flipped upside down, viewing the room anew. I have the feeling, I'm not the only one. So for this week's Shooting Challenge, we're flipping it upside down.
Take an upside down photograph. Note: don't just flip it over in post production. Try to find that unique perspective that occurs when you, as a human being, are joyfully disoriented by this other view. Capture how odd the world feels when you see it upside down with your own two eyes.
And if you want to get really crazy, stage some massive illusion with the idea in mind. Just have fun with it.
This is a simple photo of clouds, something we've seen 1000 times. But JD Hancock took it upside down. Suddenly, it's an ocean, or even a view of the Earth sky from space. The meaning is intrinsically different now.
Part of me wants to write 1000 extremely specific words on rotating the camera's perspective 180 degrees. But then I realized, that's what we have the unlimited creativity comment section for.
The Rules - READ THESE, SOME HAVE CHANGED
1. Submissions need to be your own.
2. Photos must be taken since this contest was announced.
3. Explain, briefly, the equipment, settings, technique and story behind shot.
4. Email submissions to email@example.com, not me.
5. Include 970px wide image (200KB or less) AND a 2560x1600 sized in email. I know that your photo may not fall into those exact high rez dimensions, so whatever native resolution you're using is fine.
6. One submission per person.
7. Use the proper SUBJECT line in your email (more info on that below)
8. You agree to the Standard Contest Rules.
9. If the image contains any material or elements that are not owned by you and/or which are subject to the rights of third parties, and/or if any persons appear in the image, you are responsible for obtaining, prior to submission of the photograph, any and all releases and consents necessary to permit the exhibition and use of the image in the manner set forth in these rules without additional compensation. If any person appearing in any image is under the age of majority in their state/province/territory of residence the signature of a parent or legal guardian is required on each release.
Send your best photo by Monday, February 28th at 8AM Eastern to firstname.lastname@example.org with "Upside Down" in the subject line. Save your files as JPGs, and use a FirstnameLastnameUpsideDown.jpg (970px wide) and FirstnameLastnameUpsideDownWallpaper.jpg (2560px wide) naming conventions. Include your shooting summary (camera, lens, ISO, etc) in the body of the email along with a story of the shot in a few sentences. And don't skip this story part because it's often the most enjoyable part for us all beyond the shot itself!