Are you being eaten alive by mosquitos? Is the itch driving you completely and utterly insane? Us too! So when we heard about this magic wand that supposedly takes the itch away, we had to call it in to make fun of it.
We, uh... we were wrong.
What Is It?
It's a small handheld wand you use to zap bites to make them stop itching.
Who's It For?
People who encounter mosquitoes, bees, wasps, hornets, black flies, ants, fleas, ticks,
chiggers and even jellyfish and stinging nettle. Not for use with snake or spider bites, sadly.
It looks like a 1960s sci-fi prop. It's a thick remote control with a big, round button. You look at it and instantly think, "There is no way in hell this cheap piece of crap is going to work."
You put the tip of the Therapik onto your bug bite, then you press and hold down the button. The tip uses light to heat the bite up. You hold it there for as long as you can take it, up to a minute. The burning sensation gets pretty intense after 30 seconds or so.
The Best Part
It actually works! Mosquito bites (the only thing we tested it with) stopped itching within a few seconds of taking it off, and in most cases they never itched again. We are officially stunned.
It looks so crappy and bad that most people will dismiss it before ever trying it.
This Is Weird...
Still completely amazed that this works. Like, seriously? Look at it!
- This thing is actually confirmed by the FDA to deliver bug bite relief.
- It's powered by a single 9V battery and has lasted close to a hundred applications so far.
- It works on the principle that most insect venom is thermolabile (sensitive to heat). Therapik claims to deliver "heat in the precise temperature range necessary to deactivate the venom from over 20,000 different species of insects and sea creatures."
- It helps to reduce the bite's swelling, as well.
- It's light, but it's just a bit too bulky to be considered "pocket-sized." It will however fit in a small backpack pocket, so it would still be great for camping.
- If one application doesn't do it, you can reapply as often as you want.
- Therapik's website certainly doesn't help the "there's no way this isn't BS" factor.
- If your bites are under your socks, they will chafe when you walk and start itching again.
Should You Buy It?
Unbelievably, yes, totally. This thing, despite being ugly and bulky, is great. At first we thought it was just psychosomatic, but after a few weeks of testing, we believe it to be legit. Even if you doubt us (and we don't blame you, because, come on, right?) it'll only cost you thirteen bucks to find out for yourself. [Therapik]
• Weight: 4 oz.
• Dimensions: 3cm x 3cm x 10cm
• Battery: 9V
• Price: $13
• Giz Rank: 4.0 stars