The iPhone 5s. The Samsung Galaxy S whatevers. HTC thingies. Every day, our cellphone cameras get more and more capable. For this week's Shooting Challenge, shoot and edit your submission with your cellphone of choice.
Photograph something fantastic on your cellphone. Use whatever software/filters/editing tools you like, so long as they're on your phone.
We've done cellphone challenges before, and they're always fantastic. But I find them interesting because smartphone cameras are improving at such a ridiculously fast rate. With backlit sensors quickly becoming a standard, don't be afraid to push the envelope with lower light shots.
Also, it's a great time to discover any new, odd camera apps floating out there. Camera+, of course, is ubiquitous for iOS and PicSay Pro for Android is great (ignore the text features), but what about cubist shots or Gameboy filters. Gimmicks? Sure. But every gimmick becomes a powerful artistic tool in the right hands. So share your favorite apps in the comments!
Our lead shot is by Blake from our Instagram challenge. Remember, your phone is a camera that you're carrying all the time. So discovering that perfect shot is all the easier.
0. No watermarks. They're so ugly.
1. Submissions need to be your own.
2. Photos must be taken since this contest was announced.
3. Explain, briefly, the equipment, settings, technique and story behind shot.
4. Email submissions to email@example.com, not me.
5. Include 970px wide image (200KB or less) AND a native resolution sized shot in email.
6. One submission per person.
7. Use the proper SUBJECT line in your email (more info on that below)
8. You agree to the Standard Contest Rules - though we DO accept non-US resident submissions.
9. If the image contains any material or elements that are not owned by you and/or which are subject to the rights of third parties, and/or if any persons appear in the image, you are responsible for obtaining, prior to submission of the photograph, any and all releases and consents necessary to permit the exhibition and use of the image in the manner set forth in these rules without additional compensation. If any person appearing in any image is under the age of majority in their state/province/territory of residence the signature of a parent or legal guardian is required on each release.
Send your best photo by Monday, December 3rd at 10AM Eastern to firstname.lastname@example.org with "Cellphone" in the subject line. Save your files as JPGs, and use a FirstnameLastnameCellphone.jpg (970px wide) and FirstnameLastnameCellphoneWallpaper.jpg (2560px wide) naming conventions. Include your shooting summary (camera, lens, ISO, etc) in the body of the email along with a story of the shot in a few sentences. And don't skip this story part because it's often the most enjoyable part for us all beyond the shot itself!