A lot of people celebrate the foods of spring—the first green things that sprout from the ground after a thaw. But if spring is about revitalization, autumn is about comfort—sweet and savory spiced foods that fatten you up for winter and pair perfectly with a nap.
Take a photo of a fall food. It can be as simple as an apple or mug of cider, and as complicated as...well...whatever your fall foodie magazine convinced you to spend a weekend on. Just make us smell and taste the season in a photograph.
It's my humble opinion that there's one super secret cheat to photographing the most deliciously detailed food. And that cheat is to use diffused natural light. Place a slice of pie by a window, and it's a look that even the world's best food lighting gurus will have difficulty matching.
Our lead shot is a pie-in-progress by flickr's Benimoto. It's actually a more interesting composition than it needs to be, with flour filling half the frame, and all sorts of texture in the crust, filling, and wood.
0. No watermarks. They're so ugly.
1. Submissions need to be your own.
2. Photos must be taken since this contest was announced.
3. Explain, briefly, the equipment, settings, technique and story behind shot.
4. Email submissions to firstname.lastname@example.org, not me.
5. Include 970px wide image (200KB or less) AND a native resolution sized shot in email.
6. One submission per person.
7. Use the proper SUBJECT line in your email (more info on that below)
8. You agree to the Standard Contest Rules - though we DO accept non-US resident submissions.
9. If the image contains any material or elements that are not owned by you and/or which are subject to the rights of third parties, and/or if any persons appear in the image, you are responsible for obtaining, prior to submission of the photograph, any and all releases and consents necessary to permit the exhibition and use of the image in the manner set forth in these rules without additional compensation. If any person appearing in any image is under the age of majority in their state/province/territory of residence the signature of a parent or legal guardian is required on each release.
Send your best photo by Monday, October 22nd at 10AM Eastern to email@example.com with "Yum" in the subject line. Save your files as JPGs, and use a FirstnameLastnameYum.jpg (970px wide) and FirstnameLastnameYumWallpaper.jpg (2560px wide) naming conventions. Include your shooting summary (camera, lens, ISO, etc) in the body of the email along with a story of the shot in a few sentences. And don't skip this story part because it's often the most enjoyable part for us all beyond the shot itself!