Social Media Editor, Lifehacker
New York, NY
Lifehacker, Gizmodo Media Group’s lifestyle site, is looking for a Social Media Editor.
About the Company:
Gizmodo Media Group is the publisher of the web’s most original and fearless media brands, including Gizmodo, Earther, Kotaku, Lifehacker, Jezebel, Deadspin, Splinter, Jalopnik and The Root. As part of Fusion Media Group, we reach an audience of +120 million visitors a month — more than one-third of all Americans.
About the Role:
The Social Media Editor will package and curate stories and videos, as well as create original content for Lifehacker’s social media channels. The ideal candidate will have a passion for news and social media, as well as a deep curiosity about the tips, tricks, shortcuts and, yes, hacks that can make people's lives better, easier and more productive. You should be familiar with the Lifehacker voice and have an understanding of current social platforms, as well as a sharp eye for emerging ones. We’re looking for candidates who are self-sufficient, comfortable working in a fast-paced atmosphere, and have at least two years of social media experience in a news environment.
- Curating and framing stories for Facebook publication
- Publishing links and social video to Facebook and Twitter
- Original social content creation (i.e. social/breaking news coverage, live-tweeting news events, raw video production, quote cards, gif creation, Instagram posts/assignments, etc)
- Monitoring and participating in social conversations, recirculating relevant content on news pegs
- Working with video teams to pitch/produce/facilitate live streams and other videos
- Teaching our edit staff best practices for social + working with our sites to ensure our journalism is distributed
Please apply with a resume, cover letter, and answer the job-specific questions below.
GMG and its parent, Univision, are deeply committed to fostering a transparently inclusive workplace environment and people of color, women, people with disabilities, veterans and LGBTQ candidates are very strongly encouraged to apply. Our company-wide mission is to reach very diverse audiences and so, we are deeply committed to having teams and leaders that reflect this mission.
This is a full-time staff role based in GMG's New York City office and reports into the Head of Audience & Social Media.
This position is in the WGA-E bargaining unit.