Managing Editor, Commerce
New York, NY
GMG is looking for a product and services obsessed Managing Editor for TheInventory.com. Working out of our office in the Flatiron neighborhood in Manhattan, this role will govern the content, contributors, editorial output and growth of our burgeoning new site on this award winning team (“Best E-Commerce Strategy 2017 by Digiday”, “Affiliate of the Year 2018 by Avantlink”)
Commerce at GMG exists separate from Editorial and Sales and acts as an independent function within the Business Development organization. We pride ourselves on building new revenue opportunities for the company that can scale and provide reader value - this is an opportunity to take the reins of a new endeavor and grow it into something gigantic.
The position sits inside the Commerce team, reporting to both the Senior Director of Commerce and the SVP of Business Development, and will liaise with tech, product, analytics, and the rest of the BD team.
Qualified applications will have the ability to communicate clearly and concisely, manage various tasks simultaneously, take/give direction well, and manage both fulltime and part-time/freelance employees.
- Write, assign, and edit articles (being the first and frequently last line of editing for contributions)
- Contribute to KinjaDeals where necessary.
- Manage and develop The Inventory's social channels - Facebook, Facebook Community, Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest, and being the liaison to the Edit Social Team where applicable.
- Take point on Inventory SEO, being the liaison to the SEO team, and ensuring that Inventory articles are optimized.
- Working with Commerce Business leadership to surface new products and partners
- Manage budget for freelance contributions
- Oversee the editorial calendar and cross network sharing schedule for Inventory posts.
- Collaborate on audience development initiatives with BD/Commerce team.
- Partner with Analytics to provide insight and analysis to the team
- Partner with Product leadership to develop novel treatments of content, recommendations, archive and seasonal tentpoles.
- 3+ years of editorial and operational experience at a digital media company
- Deadline driven
- Strong editing and writing skills
- Strong grasp of the Gizmodo Media Group perspective and voice