Senior Reporter -- Investigations & Technology, Jalopnik
New York, NY
Jalopnik, the transportation-focused Gizmodo Media Group site with more than 12 million global monthly readers, is looking for an experienced investigative reporter to cover technology and the future of transportation.
Jalopnik is more than just a favorite for auto enthusiasts. It has a long and proud history of award-winning investigative journalism, diving deep into diverse subjects like consumer finance, labor, predatory loans, criminal justice, scam businesses and startup companies.
About the Company:
GMG is the publisher of the web’s most original media brands, including Gizmodo, Kotaku, Lifehacker, Deadspin, Jezebel and Jalopnik. As a part of Fusion Media Group (FMG) they join a collection of digital-first properties including The Onion, The AV Club, FUSION.net, The Root, and Clickhole to reach 100 million global readers a month.
GMG is always looking for sharp, fearless, curious, and fun aspiring writers, editors, and reporters who are interested in anything and everything. If you have thick skin, strong opinions, good jokes, and a talent for finding and telling great stories, this is the job for you.
About the Role:
The ideal candidate will be an accomplished reporter capable of doing all that and more, and will help anchor the site’s day-to-day coverage of technology and the future of transportation.
They must be ready to take on every subject from nascent startups like Tesla and Faraday Future to America's transportation regulators, all with a critical eye not found in the mainstream tech press. This writer must be with everything from breaking news to longer reported features—all in Jalopnik's honest, fun and sharp editorial voice.
The position comes with a wide mandate and a great deal of editorial freedom to chase nearly any story within Jalopnik’s wheelhouse, and will also liaise with GMG’s Special Projects Desk for more ambitious projects.
Who You Should Be:
- A journalist with at least five years of experience, ideally at a large online or print outlet and ideally covering cars, transportation or the tech space
- A proven track record of deep-digging and investigative journalism
- Have strong news judgment and the ability to respond quickly to cultural and current events with appropriate stories
- An aggressive self-starter who can turn out stories quickly and is also comfortable using investigative research tools like the Freedom of Information Act and court records
- Someone who is passionate about where we're going and how we're getting there, but doesn't buy into tech industry hype
- A team player
- A writer who fits into Jalopnik's no-holds-barred approach to covering the auto industry and other topics
- Eager to do occasional video and podcast work as well
Candidates will primarily be considered in New York City, Detroit and the San Francisco Bay Area. Candidates must also supply past writing and/or video samples.
Please apply with a resume, cover letter, and answer the job-specific questions below.
GMG and its parent, Univision, are deeply committed to fostering a transparently inclusive workplace environment and people of color, women, people with disabilities, veterans and LGBTQ candidates are very strongly encouraged to apply. Our company-wide mission is to reach very diverse audiences and so, we are deeply committed to having teams and leaders that reflect this mission.
This is a full-time staff position reporting into the Editor in Chief.
This position is in the WGA-E bargaining unit.