News Editor, Gizmodo
New York, NY
Gizmodo, Gizmodo Media Group’s flagship brand and the internet’s leading authority on tech, gadgets, science, and geek culture, is looking for a News Editor.
We are on the hunt for a talented technology news editor to join our spirited, high-octane newsroom and lead the charge in crafting Gizmodo’s essential daily news coverage. Our ideal candidate has an understanding of the major narratives in the worlds of tech policy, consumer tech and culture. They must have a keen ability to critically and creatively vet reporters’ pitches, assess breaking news, and identify emerging trends. This person will bring confident, thoughtful leadership to the team.
The experience and wisdom needed to properly handle sensitive stories and reporting projects and a proven track record guiding scoops and other original reporting are a must. In short, we need someone with the passion and well-rounded editorial chops to ensure the Gizmodo news team continues to move the needle with fearless coverage of the most pressing issues in technology every day.
The ideal candidate will have:
- At least 3 years of experience editing technology-focused news at a major print or digital publication
- Strong newsroom leadership qualities
- A thorough understanding of the major companies, issues, and reader-focused concerns across the technology realm
- The ability to think quickly, decisively, and creatively in a fast-paced newsroom environment
- A tenacious desire to consistently break news and craft poignant commentary on issues across the technology spectrum
- Demonstrated experience crafting unique angles on major technology news and narratives
- Comprehensive knowledge of journalistic standards, laws, and reporting practices
- Editing experience related to tech policy, privacy, cybersecurity, and/or business a plus
- A good sense of humor and a quick wit are essential
- New York City-based strongly preferred
About the Company:
Gizmodo Media Group is the publisher of the web’s most original and fearless media brands, including Gizmodo, Earther, Kotaku, Lifehacker, Jezebel, Deadspin, Splinter, Jalopnik and The Root. As part of Fusion Media Group, we reach an audience of +120 million visitors a month — more than one-third of all Americans.
This position is in the WGA-E bargaining unit.