Internet Culture Editor, The A.V. Club
The Internet Culture Editor manages one of The A.V. Club’s most eclectic sections, and one that drives a large percentage of site traffic. Whereas other sites might interpret “writing about internet culture” as “post a bunch of viral memes,” the Internet Culture Editor is expected to exercise outstanding judgment in sifting through the deluge of interesting memes and internet ephemera, writing about those that will appeal to The A.V. Club’s existing audience and help build a new audience, exercising a sense or humor and deep knowledge of pop culture.
The Internet Culture Editor has pop culture expertise in multiple areas, and is as comfortable riffing on dog memes as they are the Wu-Tang Clan. They have purposeful ideas about expanding coverage in a way that aligns with A.V. Club voice and its readership, and they have strong organizational skills, and a clear and ambitious vision for the section. The Internet Culture Editor should also have a clear understanding of journalistic ethics as they relate to cultural criticism and The A.V. Club. Our Internet Culture Editor should have at least 3-5 years of experience.
- Build a queue of Great Job, Internet! stories every morning, based on an understanding of pop culture in general and The A.V. Club audience in particular, and update and maintain the news queue throughout the day
- Exceptional headline-writing abilities
- The A.V. Club publishes 10 - 15 Great Job, Internet! stories a day. The Internet Culture Editor is ultimately responsible for writing or assigning all of those, and making sure that they are appropriately edited and fact-checked before they are published
- The Internet Culture Editor has excellent communication and interpersonal skills, and is in constant communication with A.V. Club staff and social/marketing teams
- Other duties and responsibilities as assigned
About the Company
FMG and its parent, Univision, are deeply committed to fostering a transparently inclusive workplace environment and people of color, women, people with disabilities, veterans and LGBTQ candidates are very strongly encouraged to apply. Our company-wide mission is to reach very diverse audiences and so, we are deeply committed to having teams and leaders that reflect this mission.
This position is in the WGA-E bargaining unit.