Deputy General Counsel
New York, NY
G/O Media connects with the young, diverse audiences that are shaping our future. Through fearless journalism, provoking comedy, and high-impact storytelling we elevate the stories and issues our readers and viewers are passionate about. G/O Media reaches 115MM unique visitors monthly and includes Gizmodo Media Group and The Onion Inc.
About the Role:
G/O Media is currently looking for a Deputy General Counsel to provide day-to-day business affairs, legal affairs and editorial legal support for all of our properties -- Gizmodo, Deadspin, Jalopnik, Jezebel, The Root, Lifehacker, Kotaku, Splinter, The Onion, Clickhole, The A.V. Club and The Takeout.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
- Advise creative, development, and editorial teams on legal issues related to advertising, commerce and editorial
- Structure, negotiate, draft and close a wide range of agreements -- including technology contracts, vendor agreements, production services agreements, content license agreements, talent agreements, location agreements and appearance releases
- Advise on access and FOIA issues
- Conduct prepublication reviews and copyright analysis for both editorial and advertising content
- Advise on right of publicity questions
- Working with clients, helping to achieve their business goals and be part of their teams, while operating independently and collaboratively
- At least 5 years experience in media, advertising, entertainment or related business
- A member of the New York Bar in good standing
- Excellent drafting, negotiation, communication (written and verbal), interpersonal, organizational and computer skills
- Sound business judgment, strong work ethic, ability to make legal and business decisions
- Substantial experience with commercial issues at a digital media company, network, production company or other media company or comparable experience at a law firm
- Ability to handle multiple wide-ranging matters efficiently, to meet short deadlines and to learn new areas of expertise as business needs change
- A passion for journalism or the media business overall
G/O Media is deeply committed to fostering a transparently inclusive workplace environment and people of color, women, people with disabilities, veterans and LGBTQ candidates are very strongly encouraged to apply. Our company-wide mission is to reach very diverse audiences and so, we are deeply committed to having teams and leaders that reflect this mission.